In the wake of the United States under the Trump Administration recognising Jerusalem as Israel's Capital and planning to move the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, India on Thursday made it clear that it had no such intention of following suit.
Over the past few months, India has been studiously avoiding mention of East Jerusalem in Palestine-related statements. rime Minister Narendra Modi did not refer to East Jerusalem during his high-on-optics Israel visit this summer. He however did not answer if India would shift its embassy to Jerusalem in future.
India stopped calling for East Jerusalem to be the capital of Palestine this year. The government though avoided a direct criticism of the United States president's announcement.More news: Catholic Health Initiatives and Dignity Health to Merge
Earlier in the day, spokesperson for the External Affairs Ministry Raveesh Kumar said: "India's position on Palestine is independent and consistent".
Participating in a discussion on the channel, Alhaijaa said India has been supportive of the Palestinian cause and the two-state solution. Observers see this as a clear indication that the Indian embassy will continue to remain located in Tel Aviv which is recognised by nearly all countries as Israel's Capital. In the letter on the occasion of Palestine Solidarity Day, Modi reiterated India's "steadfast support" to the Palestinian cause while recalling India's development assistance to Palestine. They were supporting the Israeli issue.
India enjoys close ties with both Israel and Palestine.More news: Sensex Jumps Over 200 Points; Nifty Near 10250
Similar view were expressed when Modi visited Israel in July. The Arab world will obviously keep a close eye on the visit.
The party demanded that the "Modi government should come out strongly, disapproving of the U.S. action, as it goes against India's long-standing commitment to the Palestinian cause".
The US announcement has come at a time when India is gearing up for a high-profile visit by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to this country in January, marking the 25th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations.More news: New Fortnite Battle Royale Mode Available Now For A Limited Time
- Mondelez International, Inc. (NASDAQ:MDLZ): Financial Health and Analyst Ratings
- Italian union says its Ryanair pilots to strike on December 15
- Zoetis Inc. (NYSE:ZTS) Stake Lowered by Friedberg Investment Management
- Dollar Tree, Inc. (DLTR) Surges to All-Time High, Is Now Top Performer
- SoulCalibur VI Announced At The Game Awards 2017
- Indian Drone Violated Chinese Airspace Due to Technical Problem
- Firewatch Studio Reveals Stunning New Game 'In The Valley Of Gods'
- Psagot Investment House Ltd. Reduces Holdings in Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL)
- Labor ready to claim Townsville, giving the party 48 seats
- Our First Proper Look At PUBG's Desert Map