In October, rival Palestinian groups Hamas and Fatah signed a landmark reconciliation agreement in Cairo aimed at healing their decade-long rift after Hamas captured Gaza from Fatah in 2007 after days of street fighting.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas addresses the 72nd United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in NY, U.S., September 20, 2017.More news: Georges St-Pierre on staying at 185 pounds: 'I don't think so'
President Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital and to advance plans to move the U.S. Embassy to the city has sparked outrage across the region.
Senior Palestinian official Jibril Rajoub said Thursday that U.S. Vice President Mike Pence is not welcome in Palestine.More news: Facebook adds support for live streaming and video chats to Messenger games
Such moves would "be at odds with the American administration's role as the mediator of the peace process and eject if from that role", PA Deputy Prime Minister Ziad Abu Amr told US Consul Donald Blome in a meeting on Monday, according to Wafa. According to Palestinian officials, the USA moving its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem or recognizing the city as Israel's capital is equivalent to siding with Israel's claim to all of Jerusalem.
The Palestinians want East Jerusalem as the capital of their future independent Palestinian state, while Israel wants all Jerusalem to be the eternal capital of the state of Israel.More news: Israel Defense Forces strike Gaza Strip after Hamas rocket attack
"The Palestinians will remain a united front defending Jerusalem and peace and freedom and winning the rights of our people to end the occupation and achieve its national independence", he added.
- Firefighters battle Creek fire above Sylmar
- Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX) EVP Sells $260400.00 in Stock
- Amicus Therapeutics (FOLD) Given Daily Coverage Optimism Score of
- New Fortnite Battle Royale Mode Available Now For A Limited Time
- Carragher Insists Coutinho Is Staying Put Following Interviewer's Barcelona Jibe
- Which Way Are Insiders Leaning With Brandywine Realty Trust (NYSE:BDN)?
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM) Stake Raised by NewSquare Capital LLC
- Crown Castle International Corp (CCI) and Invesco Plc (IVZ)
- EBay TV advert moves the needle on Pink Christmas Tree sales
- Seattle NHL Expansion Application Approved by NHL, Can Start Season Ticket Drive