In October, rival Palestinian groups Hamas and Fatah signed a landmark reconciliation agreement in Cairo aimed at healing their decade-long rift after Hamas captured Gaza from Fatah in 2007 after days of street fighting.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas addresses the 72nd United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in NY, U.S., September 20, 2017.More news: Facebook adds support for live streaming and video chats to Messenger games
President Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital and to advance plans to move the U.S. Embassy to the city has sparked outrage across the region.
Senior Palestinian official Jibril Rajoub said Thursday that U.S. Vice President Mike Pence is not welcome in Palestine.More news: Which Way Are Insiders Leaning With Brandywine Realty Trust (NYSE:BDN)?
Such moves would "be at odds with the American administration's role as the mediator of the peace process and eject if from that role", PA Deputy Prime Minister Ziad Abu Amr told US Consul Donald Blome in a meeting on Monday, according to Wafa. According to Palestinian officials, the USA moving its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem or recognizing the city as Israel's capital is equivalent to siding with Israel's claim to all of Jerusalem.
The Palestinians want East Jerusalem as the capital of their future independent Palestinian state, while Israel wants all Jerusalem to be the eternal capital of the state of Israel.More news: Firefighters battle Creek fire above Sylmar
"The Palestinians will remain a united front defending Jerusalem and peace and freedom and winning the rights of our people to end the occupation and achieve its national independence", he added.
- Man trapped by legs in oil tank
- Israel Defense Forces strike Gaza Strip after Hamas rocket attack
- Delphi Technologies (NYSE:DLPH) Covered By Yet Another Research Firm
- Lawsuit: Bryan Singer Sexually Assaulted 17-Year-Old in 2003
- THQ Nordic's Next Title Leaks Ahead of The Game Awards 2017
- Amicus Therapeutics (FOLD) Given Daily Coverage Optimism Score of
- YouTube likely leading Google's merged music streaming service, 2018 launch planned
- Mondelez International, Inc. (NASDAQ:MDLZ): Financial Health and Analyst Ratings
- Check Out The Latest 'Death Stranding' Trailer Here
- Analysts are on the Bearish side about Callidus Software Inc