The National Judicial Council (NJC) has rejected the retirement letter of Justice Adeniyi Ademola and instead made a decision to relieve him of his position as a judge of the Federal High Court.
The NJC had in a statement on Thursday said it compulsorily retired Ademola and Justice O.O. Tokode.
He was consequently prosecuted but was discharged and acquitted by Justice Jude Okeke of the Federal Capital Territory High Court.
Although his one-paragraph letter was received at the Office of the Acting Chief Judge of the Federal High Court in Abuja, on December 7 (Thursday), the letter stated that his retirement took effect from December 6 (Wednesday).More news: Ingram's game-winner lifts Lakers past Sixers
In a letter to the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen dated December 6, 2017 titled: "Letter of Voluntary Retirement", Justice Ademola explained that the latest letter "supercedes an earlier notice of retirement dated 25/09/2017".
He had forwarded his notice of retirement on October 10, 2017 to the National Judicial Council (NJC) against April 9, 2018, when he will attain the mandatory retirement age of 65 years. However, in view of the findings of the Council on certain allegations in a petition against him by a group of eight persons called the "Committee of Anambra State PDP House of Representatives Members-Elect", it said he was recommended for compulsory retirement.
Ademola and Joe Agi, Lamido's lawyer and senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), were at the time being tried for corruption related offences.
Justice Ademola did not give reasons for his retirement.More news: SoulCalibur VI Announced At The Game Awards 2017
The council also issued a warning letter to Mr. Justice Zainab Aliyu Sadat of the High Court of Niger State and placed her on the watch-list for three years for claiming that the defendant in Suit No: NHSC/MN/46/2016 failed to make available the authority cited by them after submission of the argument to her. Jenkins Duvie Giane Gwede but was subsequently withdrawn.
The Judge had contended that allowing the NJC to go ahead with the investigation when the petition had been withdrawn, would amount to gross abuse of his rights.
Delivering the ruling of the appellate court on Wednesday, O. Elechi, a judge who read the unanimous decision of a three-man panel handling the case, said Quadri's decision to proceed with the trial is contrary to section 98 (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.More news: Regal Entertainment Group (RGC) Lowered to Neutral at Hilliard Lyons
- Dollar Tree, Inc. (DLTR) Surges to All-Time High, Is Now Top Performer
- Geoffrey Rush to sue over behaviour claims
- Thunder Blow Double Digit Lead Again in Loss to Nets in Mexico
- PM Narendra Modi to visit Jerusalem, says Palestine envoy
- Italian union says its Ryanair pilots to strike on December 15
- Our First Proper Look At PUBG's Desert Map
- Firewatch Studio Reveals Stunning New Game 'In The Valley Of Gods'
- Sensex Jumps Over 200 Points; Nifty Near 10250
- PSL 3rd edition to start from Feb 22 next year
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Plans Quarterly Dividend of $0.84