Pilots in Italy are threatening to stage a four-hour walk-out on December 15 and pilots in Portugal have also served formal notice of industrial action.
A Ryanair spokesman meanwhile told AFP in London that the carrier regularly received strike threats in Italy and Portugal. But pilots have mobilised in the wake of the announcement of 20,000 flight cancellations by the Irish carrier, which it said was due to a lack of standby pilots. "Ryanair pilots, who are members of IALPA, are now considering their options".
"As this is a developing Ryanair pilot trade dispute in another jurisdiction, IALPA are not now in a position for further comment".More news: Uber loses another license in England
Michael O'Leary, chief executive of Ryanair, recently admitted that the airline needed more pilot numbers and they have been recruiting to ease the problem.
"I am now calling on you to directly engage with Ialpa and enter into negotiations with us on all aspects of pay, terms and conditions of employment for pilots directly employed by Ryanair in Ireland", Mr Cullen told Mr O'Leary. We stand as one. "Both we and our pilots ignore these letters". "Treat us accordingly", the video said.
Ryanair brushed off the prospect of fresh disruption, saying that previous threatened strikes hade failed to materialise.More news: Labor ready to claim Townsville, giving the party 48 seats
Ryanair does not recognise unions and has long managed to avoid industrial action. Although Ryanair states that the Anpac union plays "no role" in the company and that they have had attempts at a strike before but they have always postponed or cancelled them.
In a memo to captains and first officers in Dublin, the Irish airline said it would freeze promotions, cut cash allowances and move pilots to different bases if they supported industrial action during ballots being held this week.
The notice of strike action from Anpac comes as Ryanair pilots around Europe step up action in an effort to force the carrier to engage in collective bargaining across its nearly 90 bases.More news: Israel Defense Forces strike Gaza Strip after Hamas rocket attack
- Palestine, Egypt confer after U.S. decision on Jerusalem
- Ingram's game-winner lifts Lakers past Sixers
- Our First Proper Look At PUBG's Desert Map
- Sessions spars with interns over marijuana policy, police brutality
- Man trapped by legs in oil tank
- New Fortnite Battle Royale Mode Available Now For A Limited Time
- Bayonetta 3 Announced As A Nintendo Switch Exclusive
- Sensex Jumps Over 200 Points; Nifty Near 10250
- 'Incompetence and failure': Iran leader attacks Donald Trump over Jerusalem move
- Psagot Investment House Ltd. Reduces Holdings in Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL)