"Indonesia strongly condemns the United States' unilateral recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, and asks the U.S.to reconsider the decision", President Joko Widodo said at a news conference on Thursday.
Widodo has condemned the USA plan to do so as it would further create instability in the Middle East. "And we urge the United Nations to convene a meeting to respond to the unilateral decision of the U.S".
Trump defended his decision by saying the USA can not solve problems by making the same failed assumptions and repeating the same failed strategies of the past 70 years.
Meanwhile in another location, Marsudi in her speech at the Bali Democracy Forum strongly condemned the U.S.' recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, replacing Tel Aviv.More news: Zoetis Inc. (NYSE:ZTS) Stake Lowered by Friedberg Investment Management
According to Donovan, the United States believes that the move to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is "appropriate at this time", based on the fact that "major institutions of the Israeli government are located in Jerusalem".
Jokowi said he has also instructed Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi to personally convey Indonesia's stand to the U.S. Ambassador for Indonesia H.E. Joseph R. Donovan.
She showed the Palestinian scarf she wore as a form of Indonesian support and commitment to Palestinian people. Widodo also reaffirmed Indonesia's support for Palestinian independence.
Washington recognized the disputed city of Jerusalem as Israel's capital on Wednesday, and planned to move the USA embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv.More news: Keep track of Analyst's Recommendation:: Schlumberger Limited (SLB)
Indonesia's top Muslim clerical body said the move will trigger tension and destabilize the region even further. Speaking at a ruling party conference in Kuala Lumpur the same day, he said, "I call on all Muslims across the world to let your voices be heard".
USA ally Israel and Palestine both claim Jerusalem as their capital.
Barack Obama, Trump's predecessor, called Jerusalem Israel's capital in a campaign speech, but upon winning the White House followed the example of earlier presidents by signing a waiver postponing official recognition.
During his election campaign past year, Trump repeatedly promised to relocate the USA embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.More news: 18 killed when boat capsizes in Arabian Sea
- FBI Director Wray Defends Agency Before Lawmakers
- Year-on-year gains in Chinese exports and imports in November
- PM Narendra Modi to visit Jerusalem, says Palestine envoy
- Stabbing at Tokyo shrine leaves 3 people dead
- The stocks that governs the market: Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN)
- Indian Drone Violated Chinese Airspace Due to Technical Problem
- Heavy rain and cold for Friday, but no snow
- Virat Kohli and Anushka Sharma take off to Switzerland for Italy wedding?
- Thunder Blow Double Digit Lead Again in Loss to Nets in Mexico
- House ethics panel probing Rep. Farenthold over harassment allegations