The world's largest bitcoin exchanges by trade volume are reporting significantly varying prices as the cryptocurrency's price soars to new all-time highs, market data shows.
Earlier this week Bitcoin's price entered a phase of rapid growth, starting at about $11,000 on Monday and hitting the $15,000 mark early on Thursday. At the start of the year, one bitcoin was worth less than $1,000. The price on Coinbase is often at a premium over other exchanges.
"I truly don't think people are involved on a mass scale yet".More news: Mata reveals that Ibrahimovic refers to himself as God at Manchester United
Investors' current infatuation with digital currencies looks like a bubble to us.
Exchange operator Cboe Holdings will launch its bitcoin futures contract this weekend, while CME Group says its futures will launch on December 18. The futures are created to reflect the price of bitcoin without an investor having to physically hold the virtual currency, not unlike how oil, gold, copper or cocoa prices are determined by futures contracts.More news: Is this the cute reason for Harry and Meghan's wedding cake choice?
"While we launched [in the U.S.] just a week ago, bitFlyer has already seen strong interest from institutions looking to gain exposure to bitcoin". JPMorgan Chase Jamie Dimon has called bitcoin a "fraud".
A bitcoin is often referred to as a decentralised digital currency, or for many it is more commonly known as a digital asset.
However, while companies like Overstock, Microsoft, and Starbucks offer customers the option to pay for products and services in Bitcoin, the cryptocurrency is increasingly being treated more as a store of value and less as a transaction currency. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.More news: Maharashtra: Arrested brothel owner confesses to killing husband
- Jet Airways Q2 net falls 91 per cent to Rs 49.36 crore
- Jon Hamm Reportedly Wants to Steal Ben Affleck's Batman Role
- Man Utd will miss banned Paul Pogba this weekend
- Australia's biggest companies avoiding tax
- Ramaphosa believes Zuma is guilty of rape
- Dennis Wise responds to bullying accusations on I'm A Celebrity
- Cyclone Ockhi: 150 Tamil Nadu And Kerala Fishermen Safe In Lakshadweep
- TGA 2017: From Software Next Game Teased With a Super Short Teaser
- Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE:CRM) Holdings Raised by Norinchukin Bank The
- Hosking Partners LLP Grows Holdings in Caesars Entertainment Corporation (CZR)