At least 17 people were killed and 47 injured as a boat carrying more than 80 pilgrims capsized in heavy winds near the ancient city of Thatta on Thursday.
According to local rescue officials, the passengers were devotees seeking to attend the annual Urs celebration of a Sufi saint.More news: Labor ready to claim Townsville, giving the party 48 seats
The area commissioner, on the other hand, said that two boats had collided in a creek 30 kilometres away from Boharo village, whereas the General Hyderabad Deputy Inspector Jawed Alam Odho said one boat had capsized.
The dead and injured, which also include women and children, were shifted to Taluka hospital Mirpur Sakro. He added that the boat was carrying passengers traveling to the shrine of Pir Pathai to celebrate a festival.
About 15-20 people were rescued and admitted to the hospital in an unconscious state, Baig said.More news: Psagot Investment House Ltd. Reduces Holdings in Delta Air Lines, Inc. (DAL)
Rescue efforts are underway to save other missing passengers, said Geo News. They are believed to be members of the Dawoodi Bohra community.
Allah Dino Mallah, a local boatman, said due to disproportionately lower number of ferries and high number of devotees the boatmen have been transporting more passengers.
Shah said he had received reports of at least 40 bodies being recovered.More news: Technical Scrutiny: The Gap, Inc. (GPS), Union Pacific Corporation (UNP)
- Dollar Tree, Inc. (DLTR) Surges to All-Time High, Is Now Top Performer
- Catholic Health Initiatives and Dignity Health to Merge
- Boston Scientific Corporation (BSX) EVP Sells $260400.00 in Stock
- SoulCalibur VI Announced At The Game Awards 2017
- Firewatch Studio Reveals Stunning New Game 'In The Valley Of Gods'
- Indian Drone Violated Chinese Airspace Due to Technical Problem
- Brown-Forman Q2 Profit Rises; Lifts FY Profit View
- Ingram's game-winner lifts Lakers past Sixers
- Italian union says its Ryanair pilots to strike on December 15
- Liverpool win means five English teams reach last 16 of Champions League