The House of Representatives is widely expected to pass the legislation on Thursday, after the bill drew broad cross-party support.
Liberal MP Tim Wilson proposed to his partner Ryan Bolger shortly after the bill was introduced to the lower house.
From heartfelt to bizarrely offensive, the debates to allow same-sex marriage couples to marry became emotionally charged ahead of the final vote on same-sex marriage on December 7.More news: Eating Cheese Every Day Might Actually Be Good for You
But several lawmakers including Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull intend to persist with amendments rejected by the Senate.
"It's time for more marriages, more commitment, more love, more respect".
The house spent the day voting on amendments to the bill, none of which passed (otherwise it would have gone back to the Senate).More news: Newborn dies 7 days after mistakenly declared dead by Delhi hospital
Warren Entsch, a long-term advocate of marriage equality within the conservative government, helped draft the bill and was the first to speak for it in the House on Monday.
Further debate on amendments delayed the vote until almost 6pm tonight. Gay marriage was endorsed by 62 percent of Australian voters who responded to a government-commissioned postal ballot by last month.
The only potential obstacle to the law passing on Thursday would be if marriage equality opponents managed to amend the legislation. Nearly 80 percent of Australia's registered voters took part in the two-month survey.More news: New York Yankees introduce former player Aaron Boone as new manager
- Durability and Battery Life of iPhone X Called into Question
- Weight loss can reverse type 2 diabetes
- Ronda Rousey Nearing Deal to Make Several Appearances in WWE
- Dwayne Johnson's 'Relentless' Response to Hollywood Walk of Fame Induction
- Care spending growth slowed considerably in 2016
- Corey Feldman's 1993 audio recordings concerning alleged Hollywood pedophiles have been found
- H&R Block, Inc. (HRB) Can't Be More Safe. Trades Significantly Higher
- Young & CO. LTD. Boosts Holdings in Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. (APD)
- Airline Crew Says They Saw North Korean Test Missile Re-Enter Atmosphere
- Arshi wants to be captain