Fire Department spokesman Margaret Stewart says the fire was reported at 4:52 a.m. and is burning uphill, driven by the landscape rather than winds.
A new wildfire broke out overnight in some of Los Angeles' most exclusive neighborhoods on its tony Westside near UCLA and the Getty Center, home to one of the nation's top art museums. Some 100,000 people have evacuated already, and Los Angeles Fire Chief Ralph Terrazas said crews would likely be battling the blaze for days.
Firefighters have another brush fire to deal with Wednesday morning as a flames engulfed an area near the Getty Center in the Brentwood area of Los Angeles.
UPDATE 9:45 a.m. - #Skirball spreads to 150 acres in the Sepulveda Pass with 0 percent containment, according to Los Angeles City Mayor Eric Garcetti.More news: Jordan Peele's The Twilight Zone reboot greenlit by CBS All Access
The 405 has now been closed as a precaution, but that was after thousands of Bel-Air residents drove right beside the inferno on Wednesday evening.
The fire led to the closure of multiple freeways, include the very congested 405.
Fires will burn intensely and be uncontrollable throughout the region from Ventura to San Diego counties, according to the U.S. Forest Service.
There were no immediate reports of injuries, but flames were seen approaching several hillside homes amid 25 miles per hour winds. The Rye fire shut down Interstate 5, the state's major north-south artery, although it reopened later. The fire burned more than 11,000 acres by Wednesday morning and had destroyed an estimated 30 homes, KTVU-TV reported. Temperatures were cool, however, in the 60s and 70s.More news: (UPS) Shares Bought by Shell Asset Management Co
Due to structure threats, Los Angeles police have issued evacuation orders for residents in the area.
The Creek Fire started at 3:43 a.m.
Power outages were widespread.More news: Spain coach Lopetegui wary of World Cup rivals
- 66% of Americans Show Sympathy for the Palestinian Cause
- Whistleblower alleges Flynn texted about Russian Federation nuclear deal during inauguration, congressman says
- 17-Foot Python Takes New Record for Annual Florida Snake Hunt
- Stock's Volatility Analysis: First Horizon National Corporation (FHN)
- National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell signs contract extension
- Thunderbirds, Blue Angels to return to Stewart air show
- Rye Fire Day 1
- USA Value Factor Ishares ETF (VLUE): A Look Inside The Numbers
- Ohio State's Andrew Dakich Slaps Five With Teddy Valentine
- Assassin's Creed Rogue HD Rated For PS4 and Xbox One in Korea