"I know the questions you all want to ask regarding Shohei Ohtani, but at this time, I'm not going to make any comments on anything to do with Mr. Ohtani", Dipoto said on the call.
The Twins, who had $3.25 in worldwide bonus money available, then picked up outfielder Jacob Pearson from the Angels. That additional money gives the Mariners a total of $2.55 million in their bonus pool to offer Ohtani.More news: Katrina Kaif & Alia Bhatt Are The Ultimate BFF Twinning #Goals
From Seattle, the Twins get catcher David Banuelos. The other four finalists - the Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres and San Francisco Giants - are restricted during this worldwide signing period to no more than $300,000 in any individual signing bonus.
On the Twins' side of things, Banuelos, a fifth-rounder out of Long Beach State drafted just this year, put up a.725 OPS across 36 games in the Northwest League in 2017.
The Angels and Seattle Mariners, two of the three finalists for Shoehei Ohtani who have financial wiggle room, engaged in a duel of deals to get more money to pursue the Japanese superstar on Wednesday night. The Twins had $3.2 million in their worldwide pool, but Ohtani narrowed the list of teams he was considering to seven finalists, and the Twins were not on the list. The Angels - and Mariners - were among seven finalists named by Ohtani, who met with representatives of each team over the past week. In 65 games at the plate, he hit.332/.403/.540 with eight home runs, 31 RBI and 16 doubles.More news: Woman assaulted on flight heading to Charlotte airport
Pearson, rated the Angels' No. 5 prospect by MLB.com, went nine picks after fellow LSU signee Blayne Enlow, a promising high school right-hander the Twins signed for $2 million.
Whichever team lands the free agent from Japan will acquire arguably the top prize on the free-agent market.More news: Chinese state-run daily publishes nuclear war safety tips
- Ohio State's Andrew Dakich Slaps Five With Teddy Valentine
- Hugh Jackman talks turning down James Bond
- Alaska Airlines to put limits on 'smart bags' starting January 15
- BTC Loses Steam, High Fees and Volatility to Blame
- Glg LLC Upped Stake in Gilead Sciences INC (Call) (GILD)
- House OKs GOP bill expanding gun owners' rights
- Pep Guardiola 'Learns Lesson' From Manchester City's Win Over West Ham
- Warren Moon Accused of Sexually Assaulting, Harassing, Drugging Assistant
- Iran leader warns Trump Jerusalem 'violation'
- Bungie Will Address Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris' Prometheus Lens Rifle Bug