Backstrom ended a 21-game goal drought and had two assists, and Washington's top-line trio of Backstrom, Alex Ovechkin and Tom Wilson combined for 11 points in a 6-2 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks. He has played five games at Washington, four at Capital One Arena and one at Nationals Park.
Game highlights: Frederik Andersen stopped 47 shots through regulation and overtime, and three more in the shootout as the host Maple Leafs beat the Flames 2-1. The run kicked off when Washington used a picture-perfect, tic-tac-toe passing play to set up its first goal at the 11:54 mark, with Wilson and Ovechkin assisting on Backstrom's fourth goal of the year and his first tally since October 14. The spurt spelled the end of Forsberg's night.More news: Pentagon: About 2000 U.S. troops in Syria
"Yea, they better", Backstrom joked when told of Ovechkin's remark. The Capitals top-line contributed seven points on the three goals. "Great way to get it started and we kept rolling". Wilson had his first four-point game, and Ovechkin also extended his goals streak to three games.
Wilson and Ovechkin soon scored to make it 3-0.More news: Jeffrey Tambor may not leave Transparent after all
The Capitals look for their sixth win in their last seven tries as they welcome the Hawks to town in what looks like an exciting game on paper but both teams have had issues with consistency this season and both could treat us to a let down. Though the two have complemented each other for more than a decade in Washington, Trotz started the season with them on separate lines. "You can be misled by the shot (total) or maybe it looked like we had some looks there".More news: 4 important things Taylor Swift said about sexual assault and harassment
Washington has won seven of its last eight against the Blackhawks. Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said there was a "likelihood" that G Corey Crawford would return to the lineup Sunday against Arizona. Oshie, missing his first game with an undisclosed upper-body injury suffered Monday against the San Jose Sharks. Chicago D Michal Kempny, C Tanner Kero and D Jordan Oesterle were healthy scratches for the 10th straight game.
- Strong winds expected in some counties as Storm Caroline impacts Ireland
- Arshi wants to be captain
- H&R Block, Inc. (HRB) Can't Be More Safe. Trades Significantly Higher
- Conyers' son was arrested for earlier this year for allegedly attacking girlfriend
- Care spending growth slowed considerably in 2016
- Deadpool Star Ryan Reynolds To Star In Detective Pikachu Movie
- Ben Stokes named in England ODI squad to face Australia
- YOU BEAUTY: The Australian Parliament Has Voted Yes To Marriage Equality
- Dwayne Johnson's 'Relentless' Response to Hollywood Walk of Fame Induction
- Clerk who withheld same-sex licenses freed