Now with 10 straight stoppage wins to his credit, Ngannou will face Miocic for the Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight title sometime in 2018; so impressive was his knockout of Overeem that the Cameroonian has opened as a -160 favorite against the reigning Miocic.
At the UFC 218 post-fight presser on Saturday night, a member of the gathered MMA media asked Dana White about the possibility of adding Stipe Miocic vs. Francis Ngannou to the UFC 220 card on January 20th.More news: Airline Crew Says They Saw North Korean Test Missile Re-Enter Atmosphere
Ngannou would be seven weeks removed from his most recent outing inside the Octagon, defeating Alistair Overeem at UFC 218 on December 2. Miocic has defended his title twice since defeating then-champion Fabricio Werdum via first-round knockout at UFC 198 in May 2016. Contractual issues, however, have kept Miocic out of the octagon since the Dos Santos fight.
This rankings update welcomes another newcomer courtesy of UFC 218: Strawweight vet Felice Herrig took her fourth straight win, earning a split decision over previously eighth-ranked Cortney Casey-Sanchez. All 26 of his strikes were considered significant, according to FightMetric.More news: Prince George Had The Tiniest, Cutest Part In His School's Nativity Play
After dos Santos fell to the canvas, Miocic swarmed the former champion and threw more than a dozen left-handed punches through the guard, and when those strikes went unanswered, referee Herb Dean called a stop to the bout.
The challenger would be facing a champion who has also made quick work of his recent opponents, stopping his last four dance partners in the opening round as well.More news: Rupert Murdoch's $30M Bel-Air vineyard is a fireball right now
The UFC star is one of the hottest fighters in MMA at the moment after his sensational knockout of Alistair Overeem in Denver.
- Ben Stokes named in England ODI squad to face Australia
- PUBG On Xbox One Will Receive These Exclusive Cosmetic Packs
- Google Shuts Down Chrome Apps From Web Store, Moves to PWAs
- Dwayne Johnson's 'Relentless' Response to Hollywood Walk of Fame Induction
- Arshi wants to be captain
- Newborn dies 7 days after mistakenly declared dead by Delhi hospital
- Eating Cheese Every Day Might Actually Be Good for You
- Clerk who withheld same-sex licenses freed
- Birth control may be putting women at risk for breast cancer
- Centre to extend deadline for mandatory Aadhaar-linking to March 31