The fire was reported about 9:35 a.m. near the 2500 block of Rye Canyon Loop, near highway 126, also known as Newhall Ranch Road, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
A brush fire erupted near Rye Canyon Loop in Santa Clarita on Tuesday morning.
The freeway was closed at the 126 Freeway as a safety precaution, but was reopened about 2 p.m.More news: Lubaina Himid wins Turner Prize
- LACounty Fire PIO (@LACoFDPIO)#RyeFire has now burned 500 acres in Southern California.
About 250 firefighters were working to extinguish the fire, which was burning in light to medium fuels amid gusting Santa Ana winds. Westridge High School, Rancho Pico Middle School and Oak Hills Elementary School were evacuated as well.
The most active part of the Rye Fire was located at Portrero Canyon Road and SR-126 as of 11:15 a.m., according to City of Santa Clarita officials.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said that the 9-1-1 system is down at the Santa Clarita station because of a power outage. Evacuations are still in effect for the Westridge community in Stevenson Ranch and the Valencia Travel Village RV Resort.More news: Kate McKinnon does a spot-on Gal Gadot impression for Jimmy Fallon
Evacuations were ordered along Rye Canyon Loop. Valencia High School and Santa Clarita Activities Center are being used at as evacuation center.
The Rye Fire burns as the Creek Fire in Sylmar and Thomas Fire in Ventura County are wreaking havoc.
Wildfires in the eastern San Fernando Valley and Santa Clarita Valley have charred thousand of acres and closed major freeways.More news: Jordan Peele's The Twilight Zone reboot greenlit by CBS All Access
- Automatic Data Processing (ADP) is Hemenway Trust Co LLC's 2nd Largest Position
- Thunderbirds, Blue Angels to return to Stewart air show
- Midweek podcast: Making sense of the drama in China
- Stock's Volatility Analysis: First Horizon National Corporation (FHN)
- Spain coach Lopetegui wary of World Cup rivals
- Whistleblower alleges Flynn texted about Russian Federation nuclear deal during inauguration, congressman says
- Looking at Shares of Roadrunner Transportation Systems Inc (RRTS) — Equity Focus
- Skirball Fire forces closure of the 405 in Los Angeles
- National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell signs contract extension
- (UPS) Shares Bought by Shell Asset Management Co