More than a year after the announcement, Google Chrome is finally pulling the plug on its "Apps" section from the Chrome Web Store on Mac, Windows, and Linux platforms. The company explained that it made a decision to shutter apps from the Chrome browser simply because not a lot of people were actually using them.More news: Dwayne Johnson's 'Relentless' Response to Hollywood Walk of Fame Induction
Google, in a blog post from August previous year, said that the apps project had failed, with just about 1 percent of the total users from Windows, Mac, and Linux actually installing and using them on the Chrome browser.
The blog post reads: "Chrome Apps will be removed from Chrome Web Store search & browse functions in mid-December 2017". There's still no word on removing Chrome Apps from Chrome OS, though. This is the plug-in point for password managers, script and ad blockers, mail checkers, and even the occasional fully fledged app, like Google Hangouts for Chrome. However, Apps will still be available on Chrome OS-powered devices, like Chromebooks, and they're accessible via direct links to their Chrome Web Store pages.More news: Streaking Capitals host slumping Blackhawks
Well it is informed that Google will not immediately remove Chrome Apps support on Windows, Mac, and Linux in first quarter of 2018. Existing apps will continue to work and receive updates. Google expects that PWAs will be available on desktops come mid-2018. An example of a PWA is a website that can display webpages in fullscreen.
Google had big plans for its progressive Web Apps. Because of this, other companies are jumping on the PWA bandwagon: it works on Samsung Android phones in the Samsung browser, Firefox on Android, and Opera on Android.More news: Indian drone violated airspace, crashed, claims Chinese media
Google's replacement for Chrome apps will come in the form of what it refers to as PWAs or progressive web apps. Microsoft already announced that it's bringing PWAs to Windows 10, while Apple is in early stages to bring it to the Safari web browser.
- Conyers' son was arrested for earlier this year for allegedly attacking girlfriend
- Newborn dies 7 days after mistakenly declared dead by Delhi hospital
- H&R Block, Inc. (HRB) Can't Be More Safe. Trades Significantly Higher
- Centre to extend deadline for mandatory Aadhaar-linking to March 31
- Care spending growth slowed considerably in 2016
- Mi A1 owners can now apply to join Xiaomi's Oreo beta
- Da Vinci Painting worth $450 Million is heading to Louvre Abu Dhabi
- Young & CO. LTD. Boosts Holdings in Air Products & Chemicals, Inc. (APD)
- Arshi wants to be captain
- 4 important things Taylor Swift said about sexual assault and harassment