If Stanton passes on a trade to the Giants or Cardinals, then the Dodgers will be in a good spot. On Wednesday, San Francisco general manager Bobby Evans confirmed previous reports that the Giants and Miami Marlins had an agreement worked out. It also remains possible that Stanton could chose to stay in Miami.
Evans said Giants executives gathered with the NL MVP and his representatives in "a good meeting" last week.
Nearly all of them have revolved around the Giants, Cardinals, and Dodgers and the likelihood of each team acquiring the Miami slugger.More news: (UPS) Shares Bought by Shell Asset Management Co
Todd Frazier would make a lot of sense for the Mets at third, especially since David Wright is not someone they can rely on any longer. The Giants are among seven teams Ohtani is considering signing with. Yes, Stanton has an opt-out after the 2020 season, but the likely outcome is that he plays out his current deal.
On the Dodgers' side of things, they've been over the luxury-tax threshold for five years running.
What you got, St. Louis? They'll need to trade Stanton to achieve that, as his contract runs through the 2028 season.More news: Kaalakandi first poster: Saif Ali Khan's look will leave you amused
The Marlins are rumored to want significant prospects in a deal for Stanton, in addition to a team willing to take on the majority of his contract.
If Ohtani agrees to a deal and Stanton is traded this week, that leaves the offseason with something of a late "start", but at least the timing is still a bit right as the winter meetings kick off on Sunday. However, the feeling is that he will probably approve the deal. That's perhaps why the Dodger front office is "slow playing" this to an extent. To what degree can the Marlins be cornered into paying more of that $295 million that Stanton is owed if those San Fran and St. Louis frameworks fall apart?More news: Upcoming Huawei P11 to feature 40MP Tri-Camera Setup in the Rear
- Crowds greet Toys for Tots train
- Spain coach Lopetegui wary of World Cup rivals
- Call of Duty: WWII Winter Siege Trailer Released
- Wildfire Breaks Out Near Getty Center
- Ex Volkswagen executive jailed in United States amid diesel scandal
- Trump eyes private spy network to fight 'deep state'
- Astronomers observe most-distant supermassive black hole yet discovered
- Glg LLC Upped Stake in Gilead Sciences INC (Call) (GILD)
- Alaska Airlines to put limits on 'smart bags' starting January 15
- Stock's Volatility Analysis: First Horizon National Corporation (FHN)