If Stanton passes on a trade to the Giants or Cardinals, then the Dodgers will be in a good spot. On Wednesday, San Francisco general manager Bobby Evans confirmed previous reports that the Giants and Miami Marlins had an agreement worked out. It also remains possible that Stanton could chose to stay in Miami.
Evans said Giants executives gathered with the NL MVP and his representatives in "a good meeting" last week.
Nearly all of them have revolved around the Giants, Cardinals, and Dodgers and the likelihood of each team acquiring the Miami slugger.More news: BTC Loses Steam, High Fees and Volatility to Blame
Todd Frazier would make a lot of sense for the Mets at third, especially since David Wright is not someone they can rely on any longer. The Giants are among seven teams Ohtani is considering signing with. Yes, Stanton has an opt-out after the 2020 season, but the likely outcome is that he plays out his current deal.
On the Dodgers' side of things, they've been over the luxury-tax threshold for five years running.
What you got, St. Louis? They'll need to trade Stanton to achieve that, as his contract runs through the 2028 season.More news: 66% of Americans Show Sympathy for the Palestinian Cause
The Marlins are rumored to want significant prospects in a deal for Stanton, in addition to a team willing to take on the majority of his contract.
If Ohtani agrees to a deal and Stanton is traded this week, that leaves the offseason with something of a late "start", but at least the timing is still a bit right as the winter meetings kick off on Sunday. However, the feeling is that he will probably approve the deal. That's perhaps why the Dodger front office is "slow playing" this to an extent. To what degree can the Marlins be cornered into paying more of that $295 million that Stanton is owed if those San Fran and St. Louis frameworks fall apart?More news: Melania Trump, Karen Pence to visit hurricane-battered South Texas
- Thunderbirds, Blue Angels to return to Stewart air show
- Glg LLC Upped Stake in Gilead Sciences INC (Call) (GILD)
- Wildfire Breaks Out Near Getty Center
- Jordan Peele's The Twilight Zone reboot greenlit by CBS All Access
- National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell signs contract extension
- USA Value Factor Ishares ETF (VLUE): A Look Inside The Numbers
- (UPS) Shares Bought by Shell Asset Management Co
- Kaalakandi first poster: Saif Ali Khan's look will leave you amused
- Crowds greet Toys for Tots train
- Ex Volkswagen executive jailed in United States amid diesel scandal