WestJet is plotting a course to become a bigger player on a global scale over the next few years, including a major fleet expansion and a commercial joint venture with Delta.
The deal announced in a Wednesday, Dec. 6 news release is still subject to the board approval from both airlines, but the deal is touted as a "comprehensive transborder joint venture".
Delta now codeshares on 72 WestJet routes to 33 Canadian cities and WestJet codeshares on 168 Delta routes to 74 US cities. This partnership has the goal of adding more flights between the US and Canada, sharing airport facilities and enhancing the frequent flyer program through both airlines.More news: The Biggest Starbucks in the World is Now in Shanghai
USA regulators have typically approved joint venture applications in recent years, though sometimes with a few restrictive conditions attached.
"We look forward to applying Delta's experience building successful joint venture partnerships to this important segment of transborder travel, the second-largest worldwide segment for U.S.travel", said Steve Sear, Delta's president of worldwide and executive vice president of global sales.
"We look forward to applying Delta's experience building successful joint venture partnerships to this important segment of transborder travel, the second largest global segment for U.S.travel", Sear said.More news: USA Value Factor Ishares ETF (VLUE): A Look Inside The Numbers
Highlights of the planned joint venture arrangement include coordinated flight schedules for new nonstop flights to new destinations, expanded codesharing and convenient connections on the airlines' networks in both countries.
Steve Sear, Delta's global president, calls WestJet a "perfect partner" for the American airline. It boasts a 25-year track record of partnering closely with airlines around the world.More news: Midweek podcast: Making sense of the drama in China
- EPS for Carnival plc (CUK) Expected At $0.47
- Jordan Peele's The Twilight Zone reboot greenlit by CBS All Access
- Lubaina Himid wins Turner Prize
- Stock's Volatility Analysis: First Horizon National Corporation (FHN)
- Call of Duty: WWII Winter Siege Trailer Released
- Skirball Fire forces closure of the 405 in Los Angeles
- Trump eyes private spy network to fight 'deep state'
- Automatic Data Processing (ADP) is Hemenway Trust Co LLC's 2nd Largest Position
- Spain coach Lopetegui wary of World Cup rivals
- Trump 'very committed' to Middle East peace process: Tillerson