WestJet is plotting a course to become a bigger player on a global scale over the next few years, including a major fleet expansion and a commercial joint venture with Delta.
The deal announced in a Wednesday, Dec. 6 news release is still subject to the board approval from both airlines, but the deal is touted as a "comprehensive transborder joint venture".
Delta now codeshares on 72 WestJet routes to 33 Canadian cities and WestJet codeshares on 168 Delta routes to 74 US cities. This partnership has the goal of adding more flights between the US and Canada, sharing airport facilities and enhancing the frequent flyer program through both airlines.More news: Automatic Data Processing (ADP) is Hemenway Trust Co LLC's 2nd Largest Position
USA regulators have typically approved joint venture applications in recent years, though sometimes with a few restrictive conditions attached.
"We look forward to applying Delta's experience building successful joint venture partnerships to this important segment of transborder travel, the second-largest worldwide segment for U.S.travel", said Steve Sear, Delta's president of worldwide and executive vice president of global sales.
"We look forward to applying Delta's experience building successful joint venture partnerships to this important segment of transborder travel, the second largest global segment for U.S.travel", Sear said.More news: Delta Flight Makes Emergency Landing So People Can Take A Leak
Highlights of the planned joint venture arrangement include coordinated flight schedules for new nonstop flights to new destinations, expanded codesharing and convenient connections on the airlines' networks in both countries.
Steve Sear, Delta's global president, calls WestJet a "perfect partner" for the American airline. It boasts a 25-year track record of partnering closely with airlines around the world.More news: USA Value Factor Ishares ETF (VLUE): A Look Inside The Numbers
- Midweek podcast: Making sense of the drama in China
- Assassin's Creed Rogue HD Rated For PS4 and Xbox One in Korea
- Skirball Fire forces closure of the 405 in Los Angeles
- Report Said Trump's Bank Was Being Subpoenaed
- EPS for Carnival plc (CUK) Expected At $0.47
- Kate McKinnon does a spot-on Gal Gadot impression for Jimmy Fallon
- Looking at Shares of Roadrunner Transportation Systems Inc (RRTS) — Equity Focus
- Astronomers observe most-distant supermassive black hole yet discovered
- KT McFarland's Senate Confirmation 'Frozen' Amid Contact Questions
- Stock's Volatility Analysis: First Horizon National Corporation (FHN)