President Trump on Wednesday accused Democrats of wanting a government shutdown so that illegal immigrants could flood into the U.S. - and bring crime, terrorism and drugs with them.
"The Democrats are really looking at something that is very risky for our country", Trump told reporters at the White House. He says they are "looking at something that is unsafe for our country".
The federal government would face a partial shutdown as early as Saturday as GOP and Democratic lawmakers haggle over a spending deal.
There hasn't been a shutdown since 2013, and there has never been a government shutdown when the same political party controls the White House, the House of Representatives and the Senate.More news: Floyd Mayweather Reveals He 'Carried Conor McGregor,' Rips Oscar De La Hoya
Trump says of Democrats: "They want to have illegal immigrants pouring into our country".
WASHINGTON (AP) - Hard-right House conservatives signaled an openness Wednesday to backing a short-term spending bill this week, raising the odds that Congress will pass the measure and prevent a partial government shutdown on Saturday.
"We don't want to have that".
Trump said he wants Congress to act to protect almost 700,000 people whose work permits and deportation deferrals begin expiring in March, after he announced in September he was ending the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program. "That's why we're being so careful with our process and our screening", the president said.More news: Pollution harmful to babies ' brains
Republican leaders had already postponed a planned House vote on the temporary spending measure until Thursday, buying time to iron out disputes with conservatives.
Democrats are seeking to re-instate an Obama-era immigration policy to block deportation of children of parents who came into the country illegally.
Congressional Republicans said they will negotiate with Democrats on the status of young migrants in the new year, but the issue should not get tied up with consideration of a new spending plan.More news: Analyst Opinion Summary: Hibbett Sports, Inc. (HIBB), Express Scripts Holding Company (ESRX)
- UnitedHealth to buy DaVita Medical clinics for $4.9 billion
- House approves legislation to suspend U.S. aid to Palestinians
- 'Happiness, Couple Fulfillment Ministry' was a typographical error - Okorocha
- Tonya Harding posed with Margot Robbie, Allison Janney at 'I, Tonya' premiere
- Pope Francis defends Jerusalem 'status quo'
- Pair of super-Earths found orbiting star K2-18
- Democratic senators call on Al Franken to resign after new allegations
- Rep. Al Green to Force Trump Impeachment Vote on Wednesday
- Mourinho praises Shaw in first start of season
- Abhishek Bachchan Fitting Response To A Troll Questioning Aaradhya's Normal Childhood