The holiday season is upon us, and with it comes the symbolic red kettle The Salvation Army Guam Corps distributes to enlist the community's support in helping those in need.
One of those people was Ann Irby, of Gretna, who said, "If God blesses you with extra, you should share because if you don't he will give [those blessings] to somebody that will".
The campaign, which sees volunteers ringing bells and collecting donations at businesses around the city, got underway earlier this month, and runs until December 23. They also hope to provide coats and other winter clothes to people who stop by this winter.More news: Disney sued for ripping off 'Let It Go'
Bell ringers help raise more than $700,000 annually for programs and services for those in need in the Portland metro area.
"Our goal has been for the last couple years has been $350,000", said Major Murray Jaster, executive director of the Salvation Army.
Warm said while local real estate agents have the manpower they need for Ring Day, the Salvation Army always needs more volunteer bell-ringers and donations.More news: Firing of Bret Bielema was a long time coming
Waugh said the aging volunteer population may be to blame for the lack of volunteers, but she's not sure. "It's very important, because there are a lot of needy people out there". "I would encourage anybody to do it". I enjoy bringing cheers to people's faces because we never know what they're going through.
"Knowing that what I'm doing is going to benefit someone, it's going to help somebody in need", she said.More news: Juventus want Thibaut Courtois to replace Gianluigi Buffon
- War on I-4: UCF beats USF in nailbiter of a game
- Bale back in Real training
- Shoppers in Lone Tree rush out to get early deals
- Scientists witness Galapagos finches evolve into new species
- Investors Buy Large Volume of Put Options on Wells Fargo & Co
- Tottering Stocks- Annaly Capital Management, Inc. (NYSE:NLY) a REIT - Diversified Company
- Cordray to resign from USA consumer agency Friday, names replacement
- RMB Capital Management LLC Reduces Stake in Schlumberger Limited. (SLB)
- Knicks squander 17-point lead and fall to Hawks
- Search continues for missing Jacksonville teen and grandmother