The GoFundMe campaign was started by Bordentown, New Jersey, resident Kate McClure this month after she was stuck along Interstate 95 and Johnny Bobbitt Jr bought her some gas with his last $20 (£15).
On a fundraising page she has since set up for the man, Kate McClure, 27, wrote that she pulled off an exit ramp on I-95 near Philadelphia late one night when she realized her auto was running out of gas. She wrote that she would like to use the funds to help him rent an apartment, get a reliable vehicle and cover four to six months' worth of expenses. "Hopefully with your help I can be the one to give it to him". Instead, she kept returning to the highway where Johnny was and, after repaying him for the petrol, gave him warm clothing, food and water. He told me to get back in the auto and lock the doors.
Now she's repaying him - and then some, having raised nearly $300,000 (£225,000) for Johnny.More news: Uber, Yandex ride services can merge in Russian Federation , regulator FAS rules
Mark D'Amico, who launched the fundraising campaign with his girlfriend, Kate McClure, the original woman in distress, said they and Bobbitt, an ex-Marine, will be meeting with a financial adviser and a lawyer next week to work out the details and to ensure the money is used wisely. "He is very interested in finding a job, and I believe that with a place to be able to clean up every night and get a good night's rest, his life can get back to being normal" she writes.
According to McClure, Bobbitt moved to the Philadelphia area for a job he'd had lined up. Y'all did all that? "That changes my life, right there".
Donations have poured in, and the fundraiser has shattered its goal of raising $10,000 for Bobbitt. "You know, not good things", Bobbitt told McClure and D'Amico in the video. "Like y'all! I mean that is awesome".More news: Erdogan: Turkey open for political contact with Damascus
The pair hope to get Johnny an apartment and help with transportation.
McClure has since raised more than $315,000 for Bobbitt with the help of more than 11,000 donors. She wanted to do more. "He said that he has more than a few ideas of where this money can go".More news: Armed police responding to incident at Oxford Circus, London
- Ousmane Dembele joined Barcelona to play for Lionel Messi - Cristiano Ronaldo
- Firefox to warn users about to visit compromised website
- Charles Manson Left His Entire Estate to Pen Pal
- Billy Baldwin accuses Donald Trump of hitting on wife Chynna Phillips
- Hoover police: No arrests in melee that closed down Riverchase Galleria
- Apple reportedly planning an iPhone SE 2 for Q1 2018
- Russian Federation remains China's top oil supplier for eighth month
- Paddy Power held talks about potential deal with CrownBet
- Stocks within Assessment: NIKE, Inc. (NKE), Cavium, Inc. (CAVM)
- October 10 fare hike costs Delhi Metro 3 lakh commuters a day