The 77-year-old baker and TV presenter - who replaced Mary Berry when the programme controversially switched from the BBC to Channel 4 this year - inadvertently revealed that Sophie Faldo had won the annual cooking competition by congratulating her on social media.
Asked by co-hosts Piers Morgan and Susannah Reid about how she felt after the blunder, Leith replied: "The thing that upset me most was I thought this will take attention off the victor, and Sophie had worked for months and months for this moment and the column inches are going to be about my tweet, not about her triumph".
"I felt suicidal, awful", Leith continued.More news: Amazon Black Friday US deals
Prue had publicly congratulated Sophie on her Bake Off victory on the day of the hotly-anticipated final - hours before the show was broadcast. "I mean very bad. The thing that upset me most was I thought this will take the attention off the victor and Sophie has worked for months and months for this moment". And Sophie has worked for months and months for this moment.
"I think that was one of the worst half an hours [of my life]", she said.
Most viewers, however, were distracted by the freakish burgundy and yellow outfit she wore for the interview, with one person stating: "Why was Prue Leith dressed as a Madhymaka Monk on @thismorning today?" It was the most idiotic thing I have ever done.
Prue went on to explain that she had trouble getting reception on her phone because she was in Bhutan at the time. One of them said don't forget to congratulate the victor after 10.30pm'. I wanted them all to win.More news: Ratas in Brussels: Eastern Partnership not related to European Union enlargement
"As soon as it went out, I went into panic mode and I couldn't work my phone, I couldn't figure out how to delete it".
"But you have to be a real idiot to do that. I just get to eat cake", she said.
"The Bake Off victor had been kept secret for eight years, until I come along and screwed it up".
After fans complained in their droves about finding out the victor, Prue then later tweeted: 'I am so sorry to the fans of the show for my mistake this morning, I am in a different time zone and mortified by my error'.More news: Firefox to warn users about to visit compromised website
- Microsoft Corporation's (NASDAQ:MSFT) "Buy" Rating Reaffirmed at Tigress Financial
- Charges filed against 592 in PMT 2012 case
- Erdogan: Turkey open for political contact with Damascus
- October 10 fare hike costs Delhi Metro 3 lakh commuters a day
- Clear and cold overnight then milder sunshine for Black Friday
- Charles Manson Left His Entire Estate to Pen Pal
- Bread Made From Crushed Crickets Making Headlines In Finland
- Uber, Yandex ride services can merge in Russian Federation , regulator FAS rules
- LS Investment Advisors LLC Raises Position in Hormel Foods Corp (HRL)
- Pep Guardiola 'surprised' Raheem Sterling is Man City's top goalscorer