The jury found Friday that entrepreneur Dana Hollister should pay the archdiocese $3.47 million and Perry $1.57 million for interference with contractual relations and other misdeeds.
The ruling comes after Perry, 33, originally sought to buy the Los Feliz property from the Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles for $14.5 million (£11 million) in 2015.More news: Ailing Seahawks secondary shuts down Falcons' Ryan
A group of elderly nuns who had been given the Bernard Maybeck-designed residence in 1972 tried to sell it to Hollister as the Archdiocese was working out the terms of a sale to Perry, who planned to share the home with her mother and grandmother.
In March of this year, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Stephanie Bowick ruled that the sale by the nuns to Hollister was not valid. Whatever it is, take that feeling of desire and magnify it by a power of 200 and you'll understand just how badly Katy Perry and a hotelier named Diana Hollister want to own an old convent. Hollister's troubles could get even worse and more costly when the jury returns next month to decide if she needs to pay punitive damages. The archdiocese must gain permission from the Vatican before the sale can be completed.
Hollister's lawyer Michael Geibelson told the court his client thought she had a correct and legal contract, and had not meant to cause either party harm.More news: (AAPL) Shares Sold by Insight 2811 Inc
"I don't think Dana Hollister did anything wrong as to either of these parties", Geibelson said during the trial.
The Sisters of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary have owned the property for more than 40 years, but they haven't lived in the convent for several years.More news: Noises detected in Argentine sub search disappoint
- Gujarat elections: Congress releases 2nd list, replaces nominees in 4 seats
- Thanksgiving holiday a four-day weekend for city, county, state offices
- Syrian opposition leader quits ahead of new round of talks
- Black Friday at Colony Square Mall
- Thailand's GDP Growth Accelerates in Q3
- London Overground to operate 24-hour service
- Tiger Zinda Hai makers release a Swag Se Swagat teaser
- Real Madrid without captain Sergio Ramos for Apoel Nicosia Champions League trip
- India fight back but Sri Lanka manage to drew the first Test
- Sleeping on your back could double the risk of stillbirth