Dasmunsi was a key Congress leader, who held various ministerial posts, including that of Parliamentary Affairs and Information and Broadcasting.
"He had been critically ill since the past one month and succumbed to the illness at 12.10 pm". Mr Dasmunsi was temporarily moved to Dusseldorf in Germany in 2009 where he underwent a stem cell therapy in an attempt to reverse some of the loss of brain functions caused by the stroke.
He is survived by his wife Deepa Dasmunsi and son Priyadeep Dasmuni. After his return, he was admitted to the Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in Delhi.More news: Abram Thinks Amitabh Bachchan Is Shah Rukh Khan's Father
"Our deepest condolences on the passing of respected Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi, our veteran Congress leader and former union minister".
Dasmunsi represented the Raiganj (Lok Sabha constituency) in West Bengal, which was later represented by his Deepa.
The 72-year-old leader had begun his political career with the Indian Youth Congress, and later was elected as MP in 1971.More news: IHC gives interior minister 48-hour deadline to end Faizabad sit
West Bengal Congress chief Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury confirmed the news to The Indian Express. He was the first Indian to serve as a match commissioner in a FIFA World Cup game, Hindustan Times said in the report.
The Congress leader served as the president of the All India Football Federation for almost two decades.More news: Taylor Swift makes surprise appearance at 2017 AMAs to honour Diana Ross
- Small plane crashes near airpark in Clearwater
- Search continues for missing Gaia
- Salman Khan to close IFFI 2017
- First poster of 'Student Of The Year 2' released!
- Justice League has lowest DCEU opening to date
- Alonso fuels Le Mans talk with WEC rookie test
- SEGA Bringing Valkyria Chronicles 4 to Xbox One in the West
- Kelly Clarkson, P!nk Plan Opening Tribute for 1st Responders ... At 2017 AMAs
- Lens is now available for the Google Assistant
- OnePlus 3, 3T finally get their sweet Android Oreo snack