South Korean Yonhap News Agency reported a 5.4 magnitude quake which struck close to the city of Pohang on the southeastern coastline around 2:29 pm local time.
No reports have emerged so far about casualties or damage.
Mark Zastrow, who lives in Seoul, tweeted: "Woah, quake in Pohang and just felt it in Seoul, a few seconds after I got the alert on my phone".More news: Senator to introduce marriage equality bill immediately pending 'yes' vote
The seismic intensity was the second biggest in the country's history after the biggest ever quake of 5.8-magnitude hit the Gyeongju city, just south of the Pohang city, in September past year. As of 3:00 p.m. local time, four minor injuries were reported, according to the firefighting agency.
The quake's epicentre was about 6km north of the southeastern port city of Pohang, Yonhap news agency reported.
Before the main tremor, earthquakes of 2.2 and 2.6 magnitude struck areas near Pohang city. Electric lamp hanging from the ceiling was shaken, with books falling from a bookshelf.More news: Airbus seals record 430-jet deal to outshine Boeing in Dubai
Tremors were felt in the South Korean capital Seoul, around 270km from Pohang, Yonhap added.
Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (KHNP) said the six nuclear reactors in Gyeongju, about 45 kilometers south of the epicenter, as well as other reactors on the southeastern coast are all functioning normally. Nuclear power plants in Gyeongju and the surrounding areas are reported to be safe and unaffected by the quake. As the government is working to rescue residents in the affected areas, President Moon Jae-in, who came back from his 8-day tour of Southeast Asia this afternoon, just finished holding an emergency meeting on the situation with his top aides.More news: Harvey Weinstein Sued For Allegedly Raping Actress in Hotel
- Sharif, Maryam, Safdar appear before accountability court for trial proceedings
- Kate's uncle pleads guilty to punching wife in the face
- Raid destroyed Sanaa airport navigation station
- Belated Trump's responce to Texas Church Shooting has enraged Twitter!
- Vodafone India India's profit before taxes dives 39 per cent
- 25 injured by collision between two trains at Singapore's Joo Koon station
- Manchester United can Sign €80m Star for €45m in January - Mou's Priority
- East Asia Summit sends message to North Korea -- without Trump
- Marquise Goodwin loses baby hours before football game
- India Summit: Modi calls for efforts to uproot terrorism