South Korean Yonhap News Agency reported a 5.4 magnitude quake which struck close to the city of Pohang on the southeastern coastline around 2:29 pm local time.
No reports have emerged so far about casualties or damage.
Mark Zastrow, who lives in Seoul, tweeted: "Woah, quake in Pohang and just felt it in Seoul, a few seconds after I got the alert on my phone".More news: Ben Affleck wants a 'cool way' to leave the DC universe
The seismic intensity was the second biggest in the country's history after the biggest ever quake of 5.8-magnitude hit the Gyeongju city, just south of the Pohang city, in September past year. As of 3:00 p.m. local time, four minor injuries were reported, according to the firefighting agency.
The quake's epicentre was about 6km north of the southeastern port city of Pohang, Yonhap news agency reported.
Before the main tremor, earthquakes of 2.2 and 2.6 magnitude struck areas near Pohang city. Electric lamp hanging from the ceiling was shaken, with books falling from a bookshelf.More news: Incidence of non-communicable diseases in India rose by 25 % since 1990
Tremors were felt in the South Korean capital Seoul, around 270km from Pohang, Yonhap added.
Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (KHNP) said the six nuclear reactors in Gyeongju, about 45 kilometers south of the epicenter, as well as other reactors on the southeastern coast are all functioning normally. Nuclear power plants in Gyeongju and the surrounding areas are reported to be safe and unaffected by the quake. As the government is working to rescue residents in the affected areas, President Moon Jae-in, who came back from his 8-day tour of Southeast Asia this afternoon, just finished holding an emergency meeting on the situation with his top aides.More news: Roy Moore addresses church crowd in Alabama amidst sexual assault scandal
- Vodafone India India's profit before taxes dives 39 per cent
- Kate's uncle pleads guilty to punching wife in the face
- India Summit: Modi calls for efforts to uproot terrorism
- Sharif, Maryam, Safdar appear before accountability court for trial proceedings
- Raid destroyed Sanaa airport navigation station
- Manchester United can Sign €80m Star for €45m in January - Mou's Priority
- Airbus seals record 430-jet deal to outshine Boeing in Dubai
- Southeast Asia summit draft statement skips over Rohingya crisis
- Belated Trump's responce to Texas Church Shooting has enraged Twitter!
- HSBC to pay 300 mln euros to avoid French tax fraud trial