The holidays are right around the corner and that means the Salvation Army bell ringing campaign has begun.
Local fundraising begins on November 17 at the Marysville Fred Meyer at 10 a.m.
On Giving Tuesday, November 28th, the highly-visible Red Kettle Campaign event will officially launch at four New Jersey Transit locations-including the flagship event at Newark Penn Station-and will feature New Jersey's own two-time Olympic gold medalist, FIFA Women's World Cup champion and two-time FIFA Player of the Year, Carli Lloyd, serving as Honorary Kettle Kick-Off Chairperson.More news: Saudi-led coalition bombs airport runway in Yemen's capital
The funds collected at the red kettles also help to provide money for the Salvation Army's other programs such as Meals of Hope, which provides meals for local individuals in need. The Marquette County office is now looking to hire part time bell ringers, or - volunteer bell ringers are also needed.
Those interested can visit volunteer.usawest.org to see local options for volunteers.
"When I was young, really small, I came from a dysfunctional and poor background, the one particular memory that I have that stands out in my mind is one Christmas", Roche said. Larger families are eligible for more assistance, those with children up to age 14 may also receive toys, and senior citizens will receive grocery store gift cards.More news: Missed opportunity? The Putin-Trump summit that wasn't
"It helps spread the Christmas spirit by connecting with a lot of the people that are passing by", she said. The tradition was created in 1979 and helps relieve the stress of gift giving for millions of families every year.
The Salvation Army is accepting applications for holiday assistance from families of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties.More news: European Tour Fantasy Golf Picks & Predictions
- Martin O'Neill: Republic of Ireland manager to discuss future
- Allen County Public Health supports antibiotic awareness
- Taylor Swift's 'Reputation' sells a million copies in four days
- Advanced 'Justice League' tickets are outpacing Wonder Woman's sales
- FDA Warns Of Deaths Linked To Opioid-Like Kratom
- Jack Sock ends United States drought with ATP Finals win vs. Marin Cilic
- With Cardiogram's AI, Apple Watch can detect sleep apnea, hypertension, study shows
- Rose McGowan Surrenders on Felony Drug Charge Warrant
- Senate committee considers Trump's authority to launch nuclear weapons
- Connecticut Court hears arguments in Newtown school shooting case