Mile Jedinak of Australia celebrates scoring a goal during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers Leg 2 match between the Australian Socceroos and Honduras.
Qualification will hand Milligan and the ageless Tim Cahill the opportunity to appear at their fourth consecutive World Cup and feature among a select group of players who have done the same - but the Melbourne Victory midfielder was quick to play down his chances.
Maynor Figueroa found a scrappy reply in injury time but it was not enough for Honduras.
"It's been a tough two-and-a-half years to get to this point but we did it".More news: Raid destroyed Sanaa airport navigation station
As in San Pedro Sula last Friday, the Socceroos had the better of a forgettable first half without being able to forge a breakthrough.
Postecoglu's journey with the Socceroos is not over, he took over an ageing side in 2014 and revolutionised the national team by taking a squad full of youth and inexperience to the World Cup in Brazil, a move that was heavily criticised at the time.
Jedinak stepped up to fire his free kick wide of the wall and into the midriff of substitute defender Henry Figueroa, with the resulting deflection sending the ball back past the diving Escober into the net.
Now, three and a half years later, those same players have taken Australia to yet another World Cup, and how they perform in Russian Federation will be the most crucial indicator of just how many fruits Postecoglu's efforts have bared.More news: Russia's State Duma passes amendments to foreign agent media law
Rogic atoned for this miss nine minutes into the second half, though, with a thrilling solo run that brought Australia a free-kick on the edge of Honduras's box.
The Socceroos skipper wasn't done yet, and added another goal to his name with five minutes remaining.
But Jedinak did make the occasion safe when slotting home a penalty on 72 minutes, following a handball from Bryan Acosta.More news: Nandi Awards or Nandamuri Awards!
- Britain's Johnson to meet husband of aid worker jailed in Iran
- Escaped North Korean soldier fights for life after being shot crossing DMZ
- Election Commission bars BJP from using the term 'Pappu' in Gujarat elections
- Brad Paisley schedules Save Mart Center concert
- Manchester United can Sign €80m Star for €45m in January - Mou's Priority
- Senator to introduce marriage equality bill immediately pending 'yes' vote
- Vodafone India India's profit before taxes dives 39 per cent
- Flydubai orders 175 Boeing jets, purchasing options for 50 more
- 5.4 magnitude natural disaster hits South Korea, tremors felt 300-km from epicentre
- Cyber Monday Tops Black Friday For Holiday Shopping