"This should've been nipped in the bud a year and half ago". "The controversy is polarizing the customer, polarizing the country".
This turned out to be a bad PR move for them as it started an all-out Pizza war, leading Schnatter's net worth to drop $70 million between the time he made the comments a few days after.
Shares of Papa John's stock are down almost 12 percent since the earnings call.
The pizza chain used its Twitter page Tuesday to apologize to anyone who thought talk stemming from the company's quarterly conference call almost two weeks ago was meant to be divisive. "That definitely was not our intention".More news: Denver becomes one of several U.S. cities to ban cat declawing
"We believe in the right to protest inequality and support the players' movement to create a new platform for change. Except neo-nazis - expletive those guys".
Last year, then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the performance of the anthem to protest the treatment of black Americans, particularly by police.
The protests have also drawn criticism from President Trump, who tweeted that kneeling players should be fired.More news: The Lima Salvation Army needs volunteers
Papa John's also told their shareholders the company had chose to pull much of its National Football League advertising and the National Football League gave the pizza maker credits for future ad spots.
Despite the pizza chain's efforts Tuesday to address the criticism over those remarks, some social media users weren't convinced.
After Schnatter's comments toward the league went viral, a white supremacist website declared Papa Johns "the official pizza of the alt-right," which the company tried to distance itself from. "I don't see an apology for that".More news: YouTube Announces Partnership with Ticketmaster
- Country Trust Bank Reduces Holdings in Express Scripts Holding Company (ESRX)
- Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO) - Short Term Look
- European Tour Fantasy Golf Picks & Predictions
- Kate's uncle pleads guilty to punching wife in the face
- Cammalleri traded to Oilers by Kings for Jokinen
- Masked man: Irving returns as Celtics win 13th straight
- Southeast Asia summit draft statement skips over Rohingya crisis
- The Justice Department is not actually promising to prosecute Hillary Clinton
- Greek life suspended after Texas State sophomore found dead in pledging incident
- Marlins' asking price for Giancarlo Stanton 'out of touch with reality'