"This should've been nipped in the bud a year and half ago". "The controversy is polarizing the customer, polarizing the country".
This turned out to be a bad PR move for them as it started an all-out Pizza war, leading Schnatter's net worth to drop $70 million between the time he made the comments a few days after.
Shares of Papa John's stock are down almost 12 percent since the earnings call.
The pizza chain used its Twitter page Tuesday to apologize to anyone who thought talk stemming from the company's quarterly conference call almost two weeks ago was meant to be divisive. "That definitely was not our intention".More news: European Tour Fantasy Golf Picks & Predictions
"We believe in the right to protest inequality and support the players' movement to create a new platform for change. Except neo-nazis - expletive those guys".
Last year, then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the performance of the anthem to protest the treatment of black Americans, particularly by police.
The protests have also drawn criticism from President Trump, who tweeted that kneeling players should be fired.More news: Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO) - Short Term Look
Papa John's also told their shareholders the company had chose to pull much of its National Football League advertising and the National Football League gave the pizza maker credits for future ad spots.
Despite the pizza chain's efforts Tuesday to address the criticism over those remarks, some social media users weren't convinced.
After Schnatter's comments toward the league went viral, a white supremacist website declared Papa Johns "the official pizza of the alt-right," which the company tried to distance itself from. "I don't see an apology for that".More news: YouTube Announces Partnership with Ticketmaster
- World's richest 1% of people now own half global wealth, finds study
- Roy Moore addresses church crowd in Alabama amidst sexual assault scandal
- Donald Trump spoke to Chinese president about UCLA basketball players
- NC a finalist for $1.6 billion Toyota-Mazda plant, report says
- One Tree Hill showrunner Mark Schwahn has been blamed for inappropriate behavior
- Marlins' asking price for Giancarlo Stanton 'out of touch with reality'
- Toast overlay being used by malicious Android apps to install additional malware
- Greek life suspended after Texas State sophomore found dead in pledging incident
- Why? Markiya Mitchell Rochester mom drowns baby son
- Blake Shelton named People's 2017 'Sexiest Man Alive'