Shanahan, who's been coaching in the National Football League for 14 seasons, has seen players lose loved ones in days leading up to games and knows the mental weight it can carry.
Somehow, with his wife's urging and his faith carrying him through each minute, step and snap, Goodwin played in San Francisco's first win of the season only hours after the death of his son because of what Goodwin called "complications" that led to an unexpected early delivery. He made a decision to play, which we were very grateful for.
"I just felt it was all God in that situation that I was able to score a touchdown and display all the pain that I was feeling at that time".More news: Zimbabwean army cuts roads to government offices
Marquise returned to his wife's side at the hospital immediately after the game ended, and the pair say they are determined to make their dream of a family come true. "Regardless of whether he played good or bad, the fact that he was out there and trying his hardest and trying to help was the most important".
It's a heartbreaking photo shared by the player on Instagram making public the sad news that he and wife Morgan had lost their baby prematurely early Sunday. I think he was up alone throughout the night and then he got here. "He was struggling with it for obvious reasons". And also helped out his family here too.
Goodwin was clearly emotional while scoring the long touchdown Sunday. As he entered the end zone, Goodwin dropped to his knees and looked up to the sky, and dropped his head again. "He's just a genuine dude, and it was awesome to have him have that big touchdown".More news: Incidence of non-communicable diseases in India rose by 25 % since 1990
After the couple prayed, Morgan talked him into taking the field that afternoon.
"Stay strong! Prayers are up for you everywhere!" said another.
Goodwin continued to reveal that his wife urged him to play in the game.More news: YouTube Announces Partnership with Ticketmaster
NOTES: Shanahan said S Adrian Colbert fractured his thumb early in the game Sunday and might require surgery. The 49ers have a bye week and don't have to return to practice until November 20. Carradine is eligible to play against Seattle.
- 5.4 magnitude natural disaster hits South Korea, tremors felt 300-km from epicentre
- Ben Affleck wants a 'cool way' to leave the DC universe
- 25 injured by collision between two trains at Singapore's Joo Koon station
- Weather Agency: Magnitude 5.4 Earthquake Hits North Gyeongsang Province
- Raid destroyed Sanaa airport navigation station
- Southeast Asia summit draft statement skips over Rohingya crisis
- The Justice Department is not actually promising to prosecute Hillary Clinton
- Belated Trump's responce to Texas Church Shooting has enraged Twitter!
- Vodafone India India's profit before taxes dives 39 per cent
- World's 'most beautiful' diamond sold at auction for £25.5m