Shanahan, who's been coaching in the National Football League for 14 seasons, has seen players lose loved ones in days leading up to games and knows the mental weight it can carry.
Somehow, with his wife's urging and his faith carrying him through each minute, step and snap, Goodwin played in San Francisco's first win of the season only hours after the death of his son because of what Goodwin called "complications" that led to an unexpected early delivery. He made a decision to play, which we were very grateful for.
"I just felt it was all God in that situation that I was able to score a touchdown and display all the pain that I was feeling at that time".More news: Vodafone India India's profit before taxes dives 39 per cent
Marquise returned to his wife's side at the hospital immediately after the game ended, and the pair say they are determined to make their dream of a family come true. "Regardless of whether he played good or bad, the fact that he was out there and trying his hardest and trying to help was the most important".
It's a heartbreaking photo shared by the player on Instagram making public the sad news that he and wife Morgan had lost their baby prematurely early Sunday. I think he was up alone throughout the night and then he got here. "He was struggling with it for obvious reasons". And also helped out his family here too.
Goodwin was clearly emotional while scoring the long touchdown Sunday. As he entered the end zone, Goodwin dropped to his knees and looked up to the sky, and dropped his head again. "He's just a genuine dude, and it was awesome to have him have that big touchdown".More news: HSBC to pay 300 mln euros to avoid French tax fraud trial
After the couple prayed, Morgan talked him into taking the field that afternoon.
"Stay strong! Prayers are up for you everywhere!" said another.
Goodwin continued to reveal that his wife urged him to play in the game.More news: Senator to introduce marriage equality bill immediately pending 'yes' vote
NOTES: Shanahan said S Adrian Colbert fractured his thumb early in the game Sunday and might require surgery. The 49ers have a bye week and don't have to return to practice until November 20. Carradine is eligible to play against Seattle.
- YouTube Announces Partnership with Ticketmaster
- East Asia Summit sends message to North Korea -- without Trump
- Papa John's apologizes for comments made about National Football League players
- Sharif, Maryam, Safdar appear before accountability court for trial proceedings
- Escaped North Korean soldier fights for life after being shot crossing DMZ
- Roy Moore addresses church crowd in Alabama amidst sexual assault scandal
- Masked man: Irving returns as Celtics win 13th straight
- Kate's uncle pleads guilty to punching wife in the face
- Airbus seals record 430-jet deal to outshine Boeing in Dubai
- 5.4 magnitude natural disaster hits South Korea, tremors felt 300-km from epicentre