Federer and Zverev had already met in the O2 Arena - when the German's practice session overran and his opponent was forced to bounce on his toes for a few minutes while Juan Carlos Ferrero put his man through the last couple of serves.
Watch as they tackle some of the most famous phrases to come out of London's East End, with Federer's befuddled response to, "Blimey mate, I'm Hank Marvin" a particular highlight.
After those two games, the match zipped along at a rate of knots with barely 35 minutes having passed before Zverev was serving to try to force a tie-break.More news: Kulicke and Soffa Industries, Inc. Earnings Ahead: Quick Glance
"I think Jack is playing really good", Cilic said.
Both players were solid on serve until the 2014 US Open champion went 0-40 up when leading 6-5 and sealed the set when Sock stooped to drill a forehand low into the net.
Both players could ill afford another defeat after losing their first matches at the O2 Arena and there was a sense of deja vu for Cilic, who led Alexander Zverev 3-1 in the final set of his opening contest before being consigned to defeat.
Sock claimed five points in a row to set up two match points and he converted the first when a Cilic backhand floated long. The serve again dominated until the 12th game when, just as Zverev had in the first set, Federer faced set points on his serve. The Swiss world No 2 beat the German in Halle but Zverev returned the favour at the Montreal Masters.More news: Uber in trouble again with class action lawsuits from USA riders
Zverev will now play American Jack Sock for second place in the Boris Becker Group after the American - who revealed the fire alarm that disrupted Nadal and Dominc Thiem at an ungodly hour - upset Marin Cilic 5-7, 6-2, 7-6, thus eliminating the Croatian.
"It's been an interesting morning so far", said the American. My coach growing up nicknamed me "Showtime" because I love playing in front of people, and there is always a lot going on.
"But I love playing here in London, it's an wonderful atmosphere, you make me feel like home". As the world's most formidable player on clay, Nadal has in the past suggested it would be better if the season-ending Tour Finals at least occasionally took place on his preferred surface.
Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka are all long-term absentees from the Tour this season.More news: AFFLECK & ABRAMS Unites New All-Star Super-Team with ANISTON, SHAQ, More
- Analyst's Predictions on PPL Corporation (PPL), Advance Auto Parts, Inc. (AAP)
- Nextera Energy (NEE) Investment Increased by Risk Paradigm Group, LLC
- Senate committee considers Trump's authority to launch nuclear weapons
- Nokia Corporation (NOK) Given "Buy" Rating at JP Morgan Chase & Co
- GameStop halts its unlimited used game rental program
- Devastating tremors in Iran and Iraq: the death toll is growing rapidly
- Eve Officially Joins 'The Talk' on CBS
- Mahira Khan's 'Verna' awaits its fate
- Mannkind Corporation (NASDAQ:MNKD) Sees Price Swing - Down $0.08
- Infinix Zero 5 Smartphone With 16 Megapixel Front Camera Launched At ₹17999