As the Philippines' chairmanship of ASEAN draws to a close, Duterte said, "I reiterate my commitment that my country, as ASEAN chair, will remain steadfast in upholding the ideals and values we hold dear and in working for the realization of our shared aspirations".
"At the 15th India-ASEAN Summit, the prime minister and ASEAN Leaders will review the commemorative activities undertaken in 2017 to mark the 25 years of India's dialogue partnership with ASEAN, as well as review the broad spectrum of India-ASEAN cooperation in all its aspects", the ministry said. Since its inception in 2005, it has played a significant role in the strategic, geopolitical and economic evolution of East Asia. The participating members of the 12th East Asia Summit are Australia, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, the United States and Vietnam. He described ASEAN as a symbol of peace and prosperity.
"We are committed to curtailing the threat of terrorism and violent extremism through information sharing and law enforcement cooperation, including through our Southeast Asia Aviation and Border Security program, as well as strengthening data exchange with Interpol", it added.More news: Blake Shelton named People's 2017 'Sexiest Man Alive'
Earlier on Sunday, Modi arrived in the Philippine capital on a three-day visit to attend the ASEAN-India and East Asia summit.
On North Korea, Abe emphasized the need to apply the utmost pressure to prod Pyongyang into abandoning nuclear and missile development.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said ASEAN began in times of a great global divide, but today, it is shining as a beacon of hope.More news: Incidence of non-communicable diseases in India rose by 25 % since 1990
"Be it in the fight against piracy, against illegal and unregulated fishing or any other type of transnational criminality at sea, the European Union has a strong record and know-how that we are sharing with ASEAN partners", Tusk said.
Duterte, whose country is the chair of ASEAN this year, handed over the chairmanship of ASEAN for 2018 to Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. "It is time that we jointly address this challenge by intensifying cooperation in this crucial area", Modi said.More news: World's richest 1% of people now own half global wealth, finds study
- East Asia Summit sends message to North Korea -- without Trump
- One Tree Hill showrunner Mark Schwahn has been blamed for inappropriate behavior
- NC a finalist for $1.6 billion Toyota-Mazda plant, report says
- Masked man: Irving returns as Celtics win 13th straight
- Papa John's apologizes for comments made about National Football League players
- The Justice Department is not actually promising to prosecute Hillary Clinton
- Country Trust Bank Reduces Holdings in Express Scripts Holding Company (ESRX)
- Kate's uncle pleads guilty to punching wife in the face
- Toast overlay being used by malicious Android apps to install additional malware
- Southeast Asia summit draft statement skips over Rohingya crisis