SAN MARCOS, Texas- Texas State University has announced that all Greek organizations will be suspended pending an investigation into the death of a student at an off campus party.
Police are investigating after a 20-year-old Texas State University student died over the weekend.
Ellis was an active student at Texas State University and lived on campus.
According to the The University Star, the university's student paper, Ellis died in his sleep November 12 following his fraternity's initiation.More news: Donald Trump spoke to Chinese president about UCLA basketball players
In a statement, the Phi Kappa Psi national office says it suspended the Texas State chapter last week for unrelated matters, and it will remain suspended while the investigation continues.
He was declared dead just before 12:30 pm yesterday.
Friends found Matthew McKinley Ellis unresponsive about 11:35 a.m. Monday at the Millennium Apartments, according to the San Marcos Police Department.
If it is determined that Ellis' death is hazing related, charges could range from providing alcohol to a minor to manslaughter. Preliminary findings indicate alcohol may have been a factor in his death, but police are awaiting results of a toxicology test. Ellis was a pledge of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity at TSU, but it is unknown if the fraternity held any social events preceding Ellis' death.More news: Why? Markiya Mitchell Rochester mom drowns baby son
Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house in San Marcos. Ellis' next of kin have been notified, officials said.
Ellis is the second Texas State student to die since the winter of 2016 after attending an off-campus Greek event. EMS personnel were not able to revive him and he was pronounced dead. My thoughts are with his family, friends, and the Texas State Community.
Trauth released a statement Tuesday afternoon suspending all fraternity and sorority activities on campus.More news: Advanced 'Justice League' tickets are outpacing Wonder Woman's sales
- Saudi-led coalition bombs airport runway in Yemen's capital
- United Nations adopts Olympic Truce for PyeongChang Winter Olympics
- Denver becomes one of several U.S. cities to ban cat declawing
- Country Trust Bank Reduces Holdings in Express Scripts Holding Company (ESRX)
- Placing This Stock in the Hotbed: Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated (NASDAQ:COKE)
- Blake Shelton named People's 2017 'Sexiest Man Alive'
- Diamondbacks' Lovullo chosen as NL's top skipper
- Marlins' asking price for Giancarlo Stanton 'out of touch with reality'
- Braxton Beverly cleared to play immediately for NC State
- Reese Witherspoon & Zendaya Team Up for New Movie 'A White Lie'