Fleetwood is now first with 4,235,987 points, Rose has 3,979,250 and Garcia has 3,184,582.
But when told that to become just the second Spaniard to lift the famous Harry Vardon Trophy after Severiano Ballesteros he needs to win the DP World Tour Championship and for Rose to finish outside the top four and for Fleetwood to finish worse than 20, his eyes lit up. Garcia's Masters victory is one of his three wins on the 2016-17 European Tour schedule against two each for Fleetwood and Rose. The wins refused to come, however, until he overcame an eight shot 54-hole deficit to win the World Golf Championship HSBC Champions and, seven days later, a nine shot 36-hole disadvantage to claim the Turkish Airlines Open. He did just that when squeezing out Ernie Els at Valderrama in 2007.
"I see a 2-percent chance of me winning the Race to Dubai, but I'm fine with it".More news: Senate committee considers Trump's authority to launch nuclear weapons
He also finished fourth at The US Open and had been leading the tournament at the halfway stage. "Excited for these last few weeks of the year", he enthused. Trailing leader Tyrrell Hatton by one stroke as he made his way to the 18th tee, the door opened when he learned that his fellow Englishman, playing in the group ahead, had found the water with his drive up the last.
It will take one final big effort for the victor to emerge after a tough season, and then the players can put their feet up for a while: this is the last European Tour event of 2017, with just the co-sanctioned Hong Kong Open, Australian PGA Championship, Mauritius Open and Joburg Open to come.
The DP World Tour Championship is played at the stunning Jumeirah Estates on the Earth Course; a lengthy 7675-yard, Par 72 stretch.
Garcia practiced at the Earth on Tuesday and felt that the course had improved compared to the previous years.More news: Firefox 57 brings Project Quantum to the masses
So who looks set to make their mark on the DP World Tour Championship this week?
Why not buy a Now TV pass? Hopefully I can come back on Sunday and I've won both, I've won the tournament and the Race to Dubai.
In its ninth year, this tournament is the final stop of the European Tour calendar where players are vying for the championship title, as well as the Race to Dubai crown.More news: Placing This Stock in the Hotbed: Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated (NASDAQ:COKE)
- Majidi's Film to Open India Festival
- Taylor Swift's 'Reputation' sells a million copies in four days
- With Cardiogram's AI, Apple Watch can detect sleep apnea, hypertension, study shows
- Benefits Of Coffee: Drinking Coffee Might Reduce Risk Of Stroke, Heart Disease
- Kulicke and Soffa Industries, Inc. Earnings Ahead: Quick Glance
- Eve Officially Joins 'The Talk' on CBS
- Uber in trouble again with class action lawsuits from USA riders
- AFFLECK & ABRAMS Unites New All-Star Super-Team with ANISTON, SHAQ, More
- Braxton Beverly cleared to play immediately for NC State
- Jack Sock ends United States drought with ATP Finals win vs. Marin Cilic