Later Tuesday, Minnesota Twins manager Paul Molitor was named the American League Manager of the Year.
Paul Molitor of the Minnesota Twins has won the AL Manager of the Year award and Torey Lovullo of the Arizona Diamondbacks has won the NL honor.
Torey Lovullo is the NL Manager of the Year!More news: Over 400 US Millionaires Urge US Congress to Avoid Cutting Taxes
In his first year at the helm, Lovullo led Arizona to a 93-69 record, a 24-win improvement over 2016. He joins Kirk Gibson in 2011 and Bob Melvin in 2007.
Lovullo beat out division rivals Bud Black, in his first year managing the Colorado Rockies, and the Dodgers' Dave Roberts as finalists for the award. He's the first Twins manager to win the award since Ron Gardenhire in 2010 and the third in franchise history (Tom Kelly, 1991). He had a Hall of Fame career as a player, spending 21 seasons in the big leagues including his last three with the Twins.
Francona, who won the award past year, led the Indians to an AL-best 102-62 record and an American League record 22 wins in a row.More news: Rose McGowan Surrenders on Felony Drug Charge Warrant
It's worth noting that the Baseball Writers Association of America completes its balloting before the start of the postseason, so Hinch winning the World Series had no impact on the results.
Molitor's victory was closer than that of the National League, as he received 18 first-place votes in comparison to the 11 that Cleveland Indianas skipper Terry Francona received.
Molitor is the second person enshrined in the Baseball Hall of Fame as a player to later become Manager of the Year, joining Frank Robinson. Houston Astros manager A.J. Hinch was the only other AL manager to receive a first-place vote.More news: Black worker says Tesla factory was a "hotbed for racist behavior"
The D-Backs earned a wild-card spot and advanced into the divisional round of the playoffs.
- Jack Sock ends United States drought with ATP Finals win vs. Marin Cilic
- It's not just Russian Federation , 30 countries used the internet to manipulate elections
- Connecticut Court hears arguments in Newtown school shooting case
- United Nations adopts Olympic Truce for PyeongChang Winter Olympics
- Firefox 57 brings Project Quantum to the masses
- Missed opportunity? The Putin-Trump summit that wasn't
- Martin O'Neill: Republic of Ireland manager to discuss future
- AFFLECK & ABRAMS Unites New All-Star Super-Team with ANISTON, SHAQ, More
- Nextera Energy (NEE) Investment Increased by Risk Paradigm Group, LLC
- Eve Officially Joins 'The Talk' on CBS