Denver City Councilwoman Kendra Black was behind the push to ban the procedure.
The ordinance is effective immediately.
Declawing occurs in a procedure known as onychectomy.More news: Missed opportunity? The Putin-Trump summit that wasn't
Declawing removes portions of a cat's paws to prevent the growth of claws.
"A decision to declaw a cat is affected by many human and animal factors", said Andre, a practicing veterinarian.
Kirsten Butler, a veterinary technician, said she no longer participates in the procedures.
Alternatives to declawing include regular trimming of cat's claws, stable scratching posts around the home, soft plastic caps for the cat's nails and a special tape that can deter cats from scratching furniture.More news: Reese Witherspoon & Zendaya Team Up for New Movie 'A White Lie'
Vets say cats who are declawed are more likely to exhibit bad behaviors and eventually cause owners to give up on their pets.
Denver joins San Francisco, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Berkeley, Culver City and Burbank, which have all enacted similar bans.
The ban, which covers procedures called onychectomies and tendonectomies, would apply only within city limits, leaving suburban veterinarians free to offer elective declawings to Denver pet owners.
Jennifer Conrad, who pushed for the first USA declawing ban more than a decade ago, in West Hollywood, founded the Paw Project. Declawing bans are also common in most of Europe.More news: Panthers' Curtis Samuel out for Year With Ankle Injury
- Uber in trouble again with class action lawsuits from USA riders
- Politics Buhari Snubs Guard of Honour at Ebonyi Govt. House
- FDA Warns Of Deaths Linked To Opioid-Like Kratom
- Rose McGowan Surrenders on Felony Drug Charge Warrant
- Martin O'Neill: Republic of Ireland manager to discuss future
- Marlins' asking price for Giancarlo Stanton 'out of touch with reality'
- Diamondbacks' Lovullo chosen as NL's top skipper
- With Cardiogram's AI, Apple Watch can detect sleep apnea, hypertension, study shows
- Placing This Stock in the Hotbed: Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated (NASDAQ:COKE)
- European Tour Fantasy Golf Picks & Predictions