An natural disaster measuring 5.4 on the Richter scale jolted South Korea on Wednesday.
According to the Korea Meteorological Administration, an aftershock of 5.4 was witnessed minutes later.
So far, there have been no reports of fatal casualties with 7 minor injury cases as of 4:32 PM KST, but it seems the quake did take a toll on building exteriors, vehicles, and in some cases, indoors.More news: Sharif, Maryam, Safdar appear before accountability court for trial proceedings
The residents of Pohang were told to evacuate, the agency said, adding that reports emerged about buildings shaking following the tremor.
South Korean media showed crumbled walls piled on parked cars, broken windows from some buildings and elementary school students taking shelter on a playground.
But seismic activity is closely monitored because a spike in activity is often the first indication that North Korea has carried out a nuclear test.More news: HSBC to pay 300 mln euros to avoid French tax fraud trial
Before the main tremor, earthquakes of 2.2 and 2.6 magnitude struck areas near Pohang city. No damage to them has been reported.
The quake-hit region is not far from some of the country's nuclear power plants and industrial facilities, including Shin Kori 3, but there has been no report of any damage yet.More news: The Justice Department is not actually promising to prosecute Hillary Clinton
- Incidence of non-communicable diseases in India rose by 25 % since 1990
- Ben Affleck wants a 'cool way' to leave the DC universe
- Blake Shelton named People's 2017 'Sexiest Man Alive'
- East Asia Summit sends message to North Korea -- without Trump
- Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO) - Short Term Look
- Greek life suspended after Texas State sophomore found dead in pledging incident
- 25 injured by collision between two trains at Singapore's Joo Koon station
- Airbus seals record 430-jet deal to outshine Boeing in Dubai
- YouTube Announces Partnership with Ticketmaster
- Senator to introduce marriage equality bill immediately pending 'yes' vote