- Picture by Low Youjin/TODAY SINGAPORE, Nov 15 - Twenty-three passengers sustained minor injuries and had to be taken to nearby hospitals after a collision between two trains at Joo Koon MRT station this morning.
Two SMRT employees and 23 passengers sustained light to moderate injuries and were sent to two hospitals, SMRT and Singapore's Land Transport Authority said in a statement.
The Joo Koon station is on the East-West Line, popularly referred to as the Green line, and has 35 stations between the Tuas Link and Changi Airport.More news: The Lima Salvation Army needs volunteers
Earlier, the Singapore Civil Defense Force said in a Twitter post that it had been alerted to an incident at the station at 8:33 a.m.
Commuters reported on social media that passengers on the moving train fell down when the collision occurred.
SCDF said it was informed of the accident at 8.33 am.More news: Country Trust Bank Reduces Holdings in Express Scripts Holding Company (ESRX)
About a minute later, a second train stopped behind the first train but soon after moved forward unexpectedly and "came into contact with the first train".
A panel of inquiry set up then to look into the incident said that the collision could have been prevented had MRT staff dealt with the oil spill "sufficiently aggressively or promptly".
The incident happened at the time that the Circle Line, better known as the Yellow Line, was affected by delays which the SMRT attributed to "a signal fault" at about 6 am.More news: World's richest 1% of people now own half global wealth, finds study
In August 1993, a damaged rubber ring set off a chain of events that led to the collision between two trains at Clementi MRT station, leaving about 160 passengers injured. At least 10 emergency vehicles were seen outside the station.
- Kate's uncle pleads guilty to punching wife in the face
- NC a finalist for $1.6 billion Toyota-Mazda plant, report says
- Greek life suspended after Texas State sophomore found dead in pledging incident
- Cammalleri traded to Oilers by Kings for Jokinen
- Masked man: Irving returns as Celtics win 13th straight
- Papa John's apologizes for comments made about National Football League players
- Toast overlay being used by malicious Android apps to install additional malware
- Reese Witherspoon & Zendaya Team Up for New Movie 'A White Lie'
- Allen County Public Health supports antibiotic awareness
- Denver becomes one of several U.S. cities to ban cat declawing