"We would ask that the coalition opens all the seaports as a matter of emergency and allows humanitarian and other supplies to move as well as aid workers", UN Yemen Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator Jamie McGoldrick told reporters in Geneva by phone from Amman. The coalition closed all air, land and sea ports in Yemen last week in response to a rebel ballistic missile attack on Riyadh.
"The continued closure by the Saudi-led coalition of critical seaports and airports is aggravating an already dire humanitarian situation".
"The humanitarian impact of what is happening right now is unimaginable", he said.More news: Cut-off date set to spend old £10 notes
The demonstrations came a day after Houthi rebels threatened to attack warships and oil tankers from the Saudi-led coalition in retaliation to the blockade.
On Monday Saudi agreed to reopen ports in government controlled areas, but demanded extra security measures be put in place around the rebel controlled port of Hodeida.
Iran-backed rebels Yemen have accused Saudi Arabia of blowing up part of the capital's airport and preventing much-needed aid from entering the country.More news: Student sit-in planned at Canadore College
Al-Mouallimi told reports from NY that the Coalition would conduct this process in complete agreement with Yemen's internationally recognized government, to allow the safe delivery of humanitarian aid.
Humanitarian agencies had been successful in preventing starvation and tackling a cholera outbreak that has sickened more than 900,000 people in six months and killed over 2,200. The humanitarian situation in the war-ravaged Yemen is now one of the deadliest in the world as starvation and lack of medical supplies leave millions at risk - the Saudi blockade of Yemen has added to the country's woes.
"This halted the only flights at Sanaa airport - those of the United Nations and other global organisations delivering humanitarian assistance", the rebel-run General Authority for Civil Aviation said. He said the flights would increase gradually over the coming days.More news: Democratic Sen. Feinstein says judicial nominee has conflict
- Word Diabetes Day: 2.1 Million women die of diabetes yearly
- Jimmy Fallon pays tearful tribute to his mother
- French skier dies during training in Canada
- ASI caught on camera getting massage from woman home guard
- Chelsea fans react to what Tiemoue Bakayoko has said about N'Golo Kante
- AWS sells China hardware to local cloud partner
- Marcus Rashford: I'm trying to model my game on Brazil's Ronaldo
- China overtakes the USA in race for supercomputer dominance
- Dawood Ibrahim's Mumbai Properties Auctioned For Over 11 Crores, Includes Hotel
- Sensex down by 281 pts, 3-week-low