Violence flared when the protestors tried to push their way past about 500 officers to march towards the venue of the leaders' summit.
United States President Donald Trump on Monday said that he shared a "great relationship" with the Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte. The two leaders did talk about the country's brutal war on drugs, which has left thousands of people dead.
"Whoa, whoa", Duterte said, according to a report from the White House press pool. "We are an important ally".More news: Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: United Nations watchdog report
US President Donald Trump congratulated the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) for the liberation of Marawi City from local armed groups that pledged allegiance to the Islamic State (ISIS). "And the ASEAN conference has been handled beautifully by the president in the Philippines".
After his performance, Duterte said he sang the song for Trump. Although a White House official said that human rights were briefly mentioned when the leaders met on the sidelines of the ASEAN summit, Trump did not publicly mention the rights violations. "This is the bilateral meeting".
During the two leaders' joint statement, Mr. Trump repeatedly praised Duterte and emphasized the importance of trade between the two nations, but did not explicitly highlight human rights abuses, as many of his predecessors have done while traveling overseas. "Human rights briefly came up in the context of the Philippines' fight against illegal drugs", Sanders said.More news: Tesco PLC Unconditional clearance of merger with Booker Group PLC
Duterte has been a controversial figure since taking office as president previous year, and launching a war on drugs that has killed at least 3,900 people in the Philippines.
Mr Trump has faced criticism for praising Mr Duterte during a phone call for the "great job" he was doing to counter illegal narcotics.More news: PM Modi, Australia PM Turnbull hold bilateral meeting — ASEAN Summit
- Hugh Jackman Musical The Greatest Showman Gets A Second Trailer
- Shanshan Feng leads Blue Bay LPGA after 3 rounds
- King Power: Leicester City's owners will fight '£323m lawsuit'
- Cyborg and why he's important to the Justice League
- Trump Plans To Deliver Major Trade Announcement
- Sensex down by 281 pts, 3-week-low
- Wild boar on Vizag runway delays IndiGo flight by three hours
- The Cornerstone Capital Inc. Sold shares of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (TMO)
- Storm Relief Yields Sales Momentum for Home Depot
- Child located in auto - Newport