The colleges say this offer gives faculty everything they asked for; more full time positions, increased pay and job security for contract faculty, except academic freedom, which would give teachers more control over what happens in their classrooms.
It's week five of the college faculty strike, the longest one in history.
A strike by faculty members at Ontario colleges drags on with both sides accusing each other of spreading misinformation ahead of a contract vote in the labour dispute.More news: Hugh Jackman Musical The Greatest Showman Gets A Second Trailer
The student movement wants the strike suspended immediately and classes to resume November 19, and suggests binding arbitration to settle unresolved issues between the two sides locked in a labour dispute. This includes students at St. Clair College, Fanshawe College and Lambton College.
"The thing is, they're looking for answers and there's just so much uncertainty about the strike, and whether or not they will strike a deal", he said. Organizers say they will wait till 12 pm for people to arrive then the students will all walk upstairs to line the halls by the administration office on the third floor in C wing.
Huckla, however, said Niagara College administrators seem to be listening to the concerns related by the student union, while also keeping them informed about the process going on. "That is why I am requiring that colleges establish a dedicated fund with all the savings from the strike".More news: Livingston shines in Curry's absence as Warriors roll to seventh straight win
From his perspective, he noted that if, "the minister can tell the colleges how to spend the money they've saved, she can tell them how to bargain fairly as well".
"The colleges have forced a vote on an offer that is filled with concessions and still does nothing to address academic freedom", OPSEU says.
"From the union's perspective, they talk about academic control and they've really determined that it's got to be either (faculty) or (management)".More news: Marcus Rashford: I'm trying to model my game on Brazil's Ronaldo
Del Missier said the impasse that continues to stall negotiations "is completely frustrating for us and for you, but I know that our frustration is nothing compared with the frustration that 500,000 students out of class are feeling right now".
- The Cornerstone Capital Inc. Sold shares of Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (TMO)
- PM Modi, Australia PM Turnbull hold bilateral meeting — ASEAN Summit
- Mad Max's George Miller Is Taking Warner Bros. to Court
- Storm Relief Yields Sales Momentum for Home Depot
- New weather satellite scheduled to be launched on Tuesday
- Trump lands in Philippines, final stop in Asia
- Chelsea fans react to what Tiemoue Bakayoko has said about N'Golo Kante
- French skier dies during training in Canada
- TransEnterix, Inc. (TRXC), CVS Health Corporation (CVS) — Traders Focused Stocks
- Marriage Law survey results out tomorrow