Mendes performed "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back", the victor of "Best Song".
Stormzy's triumphant performance at the MTV EMAs last night was nearly derailed when he found himself trapped in the ladies toilets only a short while before.More news: Analyst Observation On 2 Stocks: Merck & Co., Inc. (MRK), Shopify Inc. (SHOP)
Mendes, 19, who launched his career by posting song covers to the internet before getting signed to a record label, also scooped the "biggest fans" award.
"Look What You Made Me Do", singer Taylor Swift had been the most-nominated star of the evening, with six nominations, but failed to win any awards.
The minor blip didn't affect the rest of the night for Stormzy though, after he picked up the award for Best UK and Ireland Act at the ceremony.More news: Motorola Moto X4 launched in India, price starts at Rs. 20999
Other big-name winners included Ed Sheeran, for best live act, and Dua Lipa, for best new performer. It was a busy night for Jared as he also presented U2 with the Global Icon Award at the spectacle, and thanked the Irish rockers for changing his life.
Shawn Mendes won the EMA Award for artist of the year, song of the year and "biggest fans", while Kendrick Lamar took home best video for "Humble". The "Suicide Squad" star looked less than impressed when MC Grindah joked it was nice to meet the 67-year-old TV presenter, before Rita Ora - who hosted the ceremony - corrected him.More news: Citigroup Inc. Reaffirms Buy Rating for NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA)
The Detroit rapper also took the award for "Best Hip Hop", an honour which he appeared to find slightly baffling.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (TEVA) Receives Hold Rating from Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc
- Pakistan Spinner Saeed Ajmal Announces Retirement
- Doctors from the city head to Belagavi to oppose KPME Act
- Rally Protesting Meek Mill's Prison Sentence to Be Held in Philadelphia
- Fire at Annapurna Studios in Hyderabad, none injured
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD) Shares Sold by Argent Trust Co
- Maronite cardinal hopes to meet Lebanese PM in Saudi Arabia
- Camelot Portfolios LLC Cuts Holdings in Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO)
- Arthur Collins trial: Co-accused cleared over club acid attack
- Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) Stock Rating Upgraded by Zacks Investment Research