"The protestors from Karni Sena, an organisation of the Rajput community, pelted stones and broke windowpanes, gates and the ticket counter and also damaged some office furniture between 3.30 p.m. and 4 p.m.at the theatre in Akash Mall", Anand Yadav, Circle Incharge of Gumanpura police station, told IANS on phone.More news: Euro area GDP picks up slightly in third quarter
Directed and produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, the movie is an attempt to tarnish the rich heritage and culture of the erstwhile Rajputana, he said. The police have arrested eight people for the incident. Stepping up the protests against the release of the movie, some members of Karni Sena vandalised a theatre in Rajasthan for screening the trailer of the film.
"In a democracy everyone has right to protest". He also raised an objection over releasing the trailer of the film. "If they take law in their hands, then they will be punishable under law".
Some Rajput outfits have been claiming that the film Padmavati starring Deepika Padukone has certain scenes that would present the historical character in a bad light.More news: Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech taunts Tottenham ahead of Saturday's north London derby
The incident took place a day after makers of the film agreed to screen it for those who had doubts about its content once the film was passed by the censor board. The Rajput Karni Sena is claiming that Padmavati insults the Rajput community and is a distortion of history, which "hurts their religious sentiments".
Commenting on the protests against her film, Deepika said, "It's appalling, it's absolutely appalling".
As the film is slated to hit the screens on December 1, the controversy around it is only intensifying with both the sides refusing to budge.More news: Bangladesh assures help to Hindu victims: Sushma Swaraj
- Don't write oil's 'obituary', IEA says in long-term demand forecast
- More and more stores are staying closed on Thanksgiving and Black Friday
- Short Interest in American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO) Decreases By 12
- One-off McLaren 720S revealed at Dubai motor show
- FY2017 Earnings Estimate for Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (CMG) Issued By Wedbush
- Federal Bureau of Investigation data shows 18 hate crimes logged in South Dakota in 2016
- Dallas prosecutor fired for berating Uber driver
- NBCC Q2 net profit up 31 pc at Rs 81 cr
- Amazon is Bringing 'Lord of the Rings' to the Small Screen
- How Insiders and Institutions are Trading Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (MRVL)