Illumination Entertainment, the studio behind Minions, is nearing a deal to create an animated Super Mario Bros. movie, according to The Wall Street Journal. The talks between Illumination and Nintendo have reportedly been taking place for over a year, which makes sense given the history this franchise has with Hollywood. They've made Pokémon movies but, beyond that, rumors of movies based on Mario and The Legend of Zelda have been around for years.
While its live-action status did afford us the chance to watch the great Bob Hoskins prance around the screen as Mario, the movie was plagued with freakish departures from the elements of the Mario franchise we commonly associate with the beloved gaming series.More news: Suspension: Senate asks Ndume to resume tomorrow
It's important to note that a deal is not yet done, and both Nintendo and Universal have declined to comment.
If the agreement goes through, Illumination may acquire the right to make more than one Super Mario film (though only one is planned for now). The aforementioned Super Mario Bros., released in 1993, was a critical and commercial failure, although it did leave us with a truly magical cinematic moment.More news: Federal Bureau of Investigation data shows 18 hate crimes logged in South Dakota in 2016
Illumination is one of the world's most successful animation studios, having made more than $3.7 billion from its four Despicable Me films, and enjoyed further success with The Secret Life of Pets in 2016. Illumination produces its movies for distribution via Comcast-owned Universal, a potential relationship no doubt helped by the aforementioned Theme Park deals.More news: More and more stores are staying closed on Thanksgiving and Black Friday
- Non-bailable arrest warrants issued against Pakistan Finance Minister
- Italy join France, Argentina in list of shocking FIFA World Cup exits
- Brokers Recommendations on: Juniper Networks, Inc. (JNPR)
- Bangladesh assures help to Hindu victims: Sushma Swaraj
- White man identifies as 'transracial' Filipino
- Croatia, Switzerland qualify for World Cup
- How Insiders and Institutions are Trading Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (MRVL)
- Israel Deploys Iron Dome Systems Amid Rising Tensions With Gaza Based Militants
- Dallas prosecutor fired for berating Uber driver
- FY2017 Earnings Estimate for Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (CMG) Issued By Wedbush