The first bill adds Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, as the 12th condition that makes New Yorkers eligible to access the state's medical marijuana program.
The medical marijuana bill was one of five bills the governor signed into law on Veterans Day.
Cuomo also unveiled a new program that will permit veterans to order service branch-specific license plates demonstrating their service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard or Marines.More news: AT&T Could Seek White House Communications in Antitrust Review
"Gov. Cuomo should be applauded for helping thousands of New York veterans find relief with medical marijuana", said Bob Becker, legislative director for the New York State Council of Veterans Organizations.
State Senator Diane Savino, who wrote the bill, was pleased with the outcome.
The governor said the legislation will help give veterans "every opportunity to continue succeeding when they return home".More news: National Football League announces Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award nominees
Medical marijuana is legal in NY for a handful of serious ailments and conditions, including cancer, HIV and AIDS, Lou Gerhrig's, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis and some spinal injuries.
"After years of hard work, patients have finally won access for veterans and others suffering from PTSD to receive the benefits of medical marijuana", said Chris Alexander, New York Policy Coordinator for the Drug Policy Alliance. In, Alaska, where PTSD is not listed as a qualification, marijuana is legal for adults 21 and older.
According to a report from the University of Florida student newspaper the Alligator, a group of Sunshine State veterans used the military-focused holiday to bring a casket full of prescription pill bottles to a local Veterans Affairs hospital, protesting the federal agency's continued dismissal of medical cannabis and reliance on deadly pharmaceutical painkillers.More news: Making stocks you should surely buy: JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM)
The use or possession of marijuana is prohibited at all VA medical centers, locations and grounds.
- Jerry Jones 'laughs' in the face of National Football League attacks
- Iranian Presence in Syria Is Legitimate, Russia Says Amid Israeli Concerns
- Volunteers Wanted To Knit Red Hats For Babies
- HC rejects plea by Ker minister; pulls him up for moving court
- Nintendo Planning Another Super Mario Brothers Movie
- Dallas prosecutor fired for berating Uber driver
- What Did President Trump Accomplish With His Asia Trip?
- FY2017 Earnings Estimate for Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (CMG) Issued By Wedbush
- SWEET: Cashier Helps Man Count Change at Walmart
- Iraqi Kurds seek talks after federal court bars secession