FYI, the controversy stems from a PFT report saying some NFL owners have discussed a "nuclear option" to force Jones out for conduct detrimental to the league due to his war on NFL Commish Roger Goodell.
"We've got all the time in the world to evaluate what we're doing, and all the time in the world to extend him", said Jones on his weekly radio show with The Fan's Shan & RJ.
Jones has pushed back against the National Football League possibly extending Goodell's contract, even hiring lawyer David Boies and threatening a potential lawsuit if the transaction goes through.More news: Nintendo Planning Another Super Mario Brothers Movie
"If somebody is asserting that or thinking about that kind of thing, then they are not knowledgeable about how things work in the National Football League". Jones' threat prompted some owners from the six-owner compensation committee to reportedly issue a cease-and-desist warning to Jones.
Goodell is seeking the use of a private jet for life as part of his new five-year compensation package from the league's owners, ESPN reported Sunday.
"Roger has nearly 18 months [left before his contract expires]", Jones said.More news: What Did President Trump Accomplish With His Asia Trip?
The league could take a range of steps, including fines, docking draft picks and even suspending Jones, according to several people with knowledge of the situation.
Jones wants all owners to be able to sign off on the details of Goodell's new contract, which would begin in 2019, even though the owners voted unanimously in May to allow the compensation committee to negotiate the specifics of the deal.
Many observers say Jones is blocking the contract extension and holding it hostage in retaliation for Goodell giving Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott a six-game suspension after his ex-girlfriend accused him of domestic violence. He'll miss three more games before his next schedule court date on December 1.More news: White man identifies as 'transracial' Filipino
- Federal Bureau of Investigation data shows 18 hate crimes logged in South Dakota in 2016
- Euro area GDP picks up slightly in third quarter
- Brokers Recommendations on: Juniper Networks, Inc. (JNPR)
- Volvo's parent company just bought a 'flying car' startup
- Croatia, Switzerland qualify for World Cup
- NBCC Q2 net profit up 31 pc at Rs 81 cr
- Huntington National Bank Raises Position in Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (DLR)
- Freeport-McMoran, Inc. (FCX) Holdings Boosted by Morse Asset Management Inc
- Making stocks you should surely buy: JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM)
- Don't write oil's 'obituary', IEA says in long-term demand forecast