FYI, the controversy stems from a PFT report saying some NFL owners have discussed a "nuclear option" to force Jones out for conduct detrimental to the league due to his war on NFL Commish Roger Goodell.
"We've got all the time in the world to evaluate what we're doing, and all the time in the world to extend him", said Jones on his weekly radio show with The Fan's Shan & RJ.
Jones has pushed back against the National Football League possibly extending Goodell's contract, even hiring lawyer David Boies and threatening a potential lawsuit if the transaction goes through.More news: Short Interest in American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO) Decreases By 12
"If somebody is asserting that or thinking about that kind of thing, then they are not knowledgeable about how things work in the National Football League". Jones' threat prompted some owners from the six-owner compensation committee to reportedly issue a cease-and-desist warning to Jones.
Goodell is seeking the use of a private jet for life as part of his new five-year compensation package from the league's owners, ESPN reported Sunday.
"Roger has nearly 18 months [left before his contract expires]", Jones said.More news: One-off McLaren 720S revealed at Dubai motor show
The league could take a range of steps, including fines, docking draft picks and even suspending Jones, according to several people with knowledge of the situation.
Jones wants all owners to be able to sign off on the details of Goodell's new contract, which would begin in 2019, even though the owners voted unanimously in May to allow the compensation committee to negotiate the specifics of the deal.
Many observers say Jones is blocking the contract extension and holding it hostage in retaliation for Goodell giving Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott a six-game suspension after his ex-girlfriend accused him of domestic violence. He'll miss three more games before his next schedule court date on December 1.More news: Volunteers Wanted To Knit Red Hats For Babies
- Euro area GDP picks up slightly in third quarter
- HC rejects plea by Ker minister; pulls him up for moving court
- White man identifies as 'transracial' Filipino
- Making stocks you should surely buy: JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM)
- NBCC Q2 net profit up 31 pc at Rs 81 cr
- Eli Lilly and Company (LLY) Position Increased by Wealthfront Inc
- SWEET: Cashier Helps Man Count Change at Walmart
- Rs 1430 crore seized by IT department from Sasikala's properties
- Iranian Presence in Syria Is Legitimate, Russia Says Amid Israeli Concerns
- Federal Bureau of Investigation data shows 18 hate crimes logged in South Dakota in 2016