Instead, the unit intends to tread the lines between power, portability, and affordability, which puts it in competition with some recently announced Oculus headsets, in particular the Project Santa Cruz and more affordable Oculus Go. Also announced today is the Vive Wave VR open platform, which is basically Daydream for China with 12 hardware partners already signed up, including Quanta, Pimax, Nubia, iQIYI and more.
HTC and Google both confirmed to TechCrunch that a Daydream-branded HTC standalone headset will no longer be coming to the USA market.More news: Pakistan Spinner Saeed Ajmal Announces Retirement
The platform is created to simplify development and enable support for multiple, cross-platform VR devices. Vive Wave is a toolset that lets developers support third-party mobile VR HMDs on HTC's Viveport content distribution system.
While the U.S. has been a slow struggle platform-wise for Vive, China has been a different story where the company has already grown its smartphone-based mobile VR brand thanks to a software launcher tied to its Viveport content store. With the Vive Wave SDK, vendors can integrate accessories - be it a Leap Motion, gloves or even outside-in solutions for 6DoF input (and potentially eye-tracking solutions as icing on the cake).More news: Shark hits surfer on NSW Central Coast
"In the past, standalones have always kind of represented a mediocre balance, where you don't have much content and you can only do rotational, and it's not that much different than Cardboard except now you have one individual machine", HTC Vive's China President Alvin Wang Graylin told Engadget.
Beyond the Vive headset, Google had announced that they were also working with Lenovo on a wireless Daydream headset. While Oculus executives have outright noted that they are not particularly interested in making money off of hardware sales, there aren't many other options for HTC which has done a poor job of becoming a platform company in the USA despite being first-to-market. The Vive Focus is a head-mounted display equipped with 6 degrees-of-freedom, and world-scale tracking.More news: Shares Of Prospect Capital Corporation (PSEC) bought By OSWALD BRIAN H
Predictably, the Vive Focus headset is fully compatible with the Vive Wave open platform and Viveport content distribution system. The company said that it handed out 500 priority vouchers to developers who were present at VDC 2017. In fact, HTC is offering Vive Vision headsets along with Vive Wave developer kits to qualifying developers.
- Doctors from the city head to Belagavi to oppose KPME Act
- Citigroup Inc. Reaffirms Buy Rating for NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA)
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (TEVA) Receives Hold Rating from Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc
- Shares in Alibaba Group Holding Limited (BABA) Acquired by Benchmark Capital Advisors
- North Korean Soldier Is Shot While Defecting Across DMZ, South Says
- Maronite cardinal hopes to meet Lebanese PM in Saudi Arabia
- Russia, China support Philippines in fighting terrorism, drugs - President Duterte
- Disneyland Shuts Down Cooling Towers After Infecting Visitors With Legionnaire's Disease
- China, Asean agree to 10-year China Sea protection pact
- Shawn Mendes, Eminem and U2 among winners at MTV Europe Music Awards