The report, which gathered information submitted by law enforcement agencies across the country, revealed that almost all hate crimes were based on a single bias, with 57.5 percent motivated by race or ethnicity bias, 21 percent motivated by a religious bias and 17.7 percent motivated by a sexual orientation bias.
Black Americans were targeted in about half the 3,489 incidents based on race, ethnicity or ancestry, the report said, followed by whites who were targeted in 720.
There were 6,121 hate crimes in the USA last year, up from 5,850 the year before, according to the FBI's Hate Crime Statistics, 2016.More news: The Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Rating Reaffirm by Drexel Hamilton
About half the 1,273 incidents that involved religion were against Jews.
The hate crimes based on race and ethnicity made up 3,489 of the crimes, up from 3,310 a year earlier, the Federal Bureau of Investigation report said.
Hate crimes in North Dakota appeared to drop for the second straight year in 2016, but authorities warn against making year-by-year comparisons because the number of participating agencies changes each year.More news: More and more stores are staying closed on Thanksgiving and Black Friday
Singh said it will be hard for the country to mobilise political will and resources necessary to address the issue if law enforcement agencies fail to document true extent of hate crimes.
Minnesota reported 119 hate crimes past year, up from 109 in 2015.
The figures are a big drop from 2015, when the state reported 36 hate crimes. Religion-related hate crimes came second, with Jews and Muslims targeted the most. Anti-Jewish incidents rose by 3 percent, while anti-Muslim incidents rose by 20 percent.More news: Brokers Recommendations on: Juniper Networks, Inc. (JNPR)
North Dakota reported eight hate crimes a year ago. That year, almost 17 percent of participating police agencies reported incidents.
- Former Pharmaceutical Company Executive Picked to Run HHS
- FY2017 Earnings Estimate for Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (CMG) Issued By Wedbush
- Bangladesh assures help to Hindu victims: Sushma Swaraj
- Short Interest in American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO) Decreases By 12
- Vodafone Turns To Profit In H1, Lifts FY18 Earnings View; Stock Up
- How Insiders and Institutions are Trading Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (MRVL)
- Amazon is Bringing 'Lord of the Rings' to the Small Screen
- PDP chairmanship: Bode George advocates micro zoning, equity
- Non-bailable arrest warrants issued against Pakistan Finance Minister
- Trans Pacific Partnership Trade Deal Advances Without United States