A child remains in a critical condition after being found inside a hot auto in Melbourne yesterday.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the child and the school community".
It does not take long for the temperature inside a auto to escalate on a hot day, Kidsafe Victoria President Doctor Mark Stokes said.
Even on milder days, temperatures inside a vehicle can exceed 50 degrees in as little as 20 minutes, putting anyone inside at great risk for heat stroke, which can lead to a high fever, dehydration, seizures, stroke and death.
The boy is now being treated in the Royal Children's Hospital. (9NEWS) A child was rushed to hospital just after 2.45pm.More news: King Power: Leicester City's owners will fight '£323m lawsuit'
His classmates and teachers are being offered counselling and support.
Victoria Police spokeswoman Leonie Johnson said the boy had been in the auto since the morning.
In summer, it can be up to 30C hotter than outside.
Police and ambulance also responded to the scene. Police have blocked off Maddox Road as they investigate.
Another resident who saw the commotion said it was a 'very sad situation'.More news: Mad Max's George Miller Is Taking Warner Bros. to Court
Police said it was protocol to notify homicide squad detectives about the incident but it is not believed to be suspicious.
'I can't imagine what the parents would be going through, ' they said.
Last year, paramedics fielded a staggering 1562 calls to rescue or treat children left in cars.
Newport local Wendy Kostraby, warned leaving a child in a vehicle could cause medical damage in just a short time.
"She has driven to work and parked her auto without knowing he was in there".More news: Louis CK's TV wife speaks out about his 'abhorrent' behavior
'It can be really inconvenient to get them in and out of baby seats, parents are really busy, but a child left in a auto can easily die'. "It can be fatal if you aren't careful".
- Trump Plans To Deliver Major Trade Announcement
- Hugh Jackman Musical The Greatest Showman Gets A Second Trailer
- Everton have £8.5m move for Silva rejected by Watford
- Sensex down by 281 pts, 3-week-low
- Marriage Law survey results out tomorrow
- (QCOM) is up at $65.31 Qualcomm Board of Directors Unanimously…
- The Bachchans Look Royal At A Family Wedding!
- Oman oil minister - confident of agreement this month to extend output cuts
- TransEnterix, Inc. (TRXC), CVS Health Corporation (CVS) — Traders Focused Stocks
- Iran sticks to key limits of nuclear deal: United Nations watchdog report