A child remains in a critical condition after being found inside a hot auto in Melbourne yesterday.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the child and the school community".
It does not take long for the temperature inside a auto to escalate on a hot day, Kidsafe Victoria President Doctor Mark Stokes said.
Even on milder days, temperatures inside a vehicle can exceed 50 degrees in as little as 20 minutes, putting anyone inside at great risk for heat stroke, which can lead to a high fever, dehydration, seizures, stroke and death.
The boy is now being treated in the Royal Children's Hospital. (9NEWS) A child was rushed to hospital just after 2.45pm.More news: King Power: Leicester City's owners will fight '£323m lawsuit'
His classmates and teachers are being offered counselling and support.
Victoria Police spokeswoman Leonie Johnson said the boy had been in the auto since the morning.
In summer, it can be up to 30C hotter than outside.
Police and ambulance also responded to the scene. Police have blocked off Maddox Road as they investigate.
Another resident who saw the commotion said it was a 'very sad situation'.More news: Marriage Law survey results out tomorrow
Police said it was protocol to notify homicide squad detectives about the incident but it is not believed to be suspicious.
'I can't imagine what the parents would be going through, ' they said.
Last year, paramedics fielded a staggering 1562 calls to rescue or treat children left in cars.
Newport local Wendy Kostraby, warned leaving a child in a vehicle could cause medical damage in just a short time.
"She has driven to work and parked her auto without knowing he was in there".More news: GI tag says West Bengal is where the 'rosogolla' originated
'It can be really inconvenient to get them in and out of baby seats, parents are really busy, but a child left in a auto can easily die'. "It can be fatal if you aren't careful".
- Trump Plans To Deliver Major Trade Announcement
- Dawood Ibrahim's Mumbai Properties Auctioned For Over 11 Crores, Includes Hotel
- Sensex down by 281 pts, 3-week-low
- PM Modi, Australia PM Turnbull hold bilateral meeting — ASEAN Summit
- Chelsea fans react to what Tiemoue Bakayoko has said about N'Golo Kante
- Mad Max's George Miller Is Taking Warner Bros. to Court
- Louis CK's TV wife speaks out about his 'abhorrent' behavior
- Wild boar on Vizag runway delays IndiGo flight by three hours
- New weather satellite scheduled to be launched on Tuesday
- Oman oil minister - confident of agreement this month to extend output cuts