The Cabinet Minister said that the government has received a detailed report from the Indian High Commission in Dhaka on the November 10 incident.
A thousands-strong mob set ablaze a Hindu village in Bangladesh after rumors began spreading in the area, alleging that a man from their community insulted Prophet Muhammad on Facebook. Bangladeshi authorities have meanwhile assured the villagers "that compensation will be paid to affected persons to rebuild their houses and adequate security will be provided".More news: Non-bailable arrest warrants issued against Pakistan Finance Minister
In October 2015, at least 15 Hindu temples in Bangladesh were vandalised over allegations of disrespect shown to Islam on Facebook, triggering panic among the minority community in the Muslim-majority nation. The rumour was that one Titu Roy, originally from Thakurpara but now living in Narayanganj, put up a Facebook post defaming Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) a few days ago.
One person was killed and at least five more seriously injured after 20,000 Muslims attacked Hindu homes in the village of Thakurbari, in the Rangpur Sadar region of the country, on Friday.More news: Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Cech taunts Tottenham ahead of Saturday's north London derby
The crowd was made up of residents from between six and seven neighbouring villages, including Paglapeer, Mominpur and Horialkuthi.
Police on Saturday morning filed the case with Gangachhara police station of Rangpur against more than 2000 people, including 25-30 named ones. The incident took place in Rangpur district's Thakurpara village. The panel has been asked to submit its report within a week.More news: Huntington National Bank Raises Position in Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (DLR)
- PDP chairmanship: Bode George advocates micro zoning, equity
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited (CNQ) PT Raised to C$51.00
- Former Pharmaceutical Company Executive Picked to Run HHS
- Bharti Infratel shares fall on block deals, Airtel up 1%
- Amazon is Bringing 'Lord of the Rings' to the Small Screen
- Trader's Buzz: Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY)
- Mathews set to play as batsman in India Tests
- Jordin Sparks announces pregnancy after secret marriage
- Trump's Chief of Staff on Trump's Tweets: 'They Are What They Are'
- More and more stores are staying closed on Thanksgiving and Black Friday