However, fans anxious that the TV show will attempt to retell the story need not be concerned; the series will instead "explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring", and will therefore be set before the events from the Oscar-winning trilogy. It is one of the largest such deals in the history of TV and it is evidence of Amazon's faith in the profitability of the project. The move is made more intense by the fact that no creative choices on the show have been made yet, save that it will be a prequel series taking place before the first LOTR film, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Tolkien fans take notice. These new TV shows will be produced in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, book publisher HarperCollins and Warner Bros. Their head of scripted series, Sharon Tal Ygyando, said: "The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen".More news: Local, state police respond to shooting in Fall River
Matt Galsor also claimed in his statement that "Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on JRR Tolkien's original writings". The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series. Its theatrical adaptations, from New Line Cinema and Director Peter Jackson, earned a combined gross of almost $6 billion worldwide. And what better way to pursue that goal than to bring back a franchise whose movies starring Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom grossed $6 billion worldwide?
Note that the price tag being reported included only the television rights and not any development or productions costs, which could equal those totals.More news: Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (NASDAQ:WBA) reported Sales of 118.21 Billion
Amazon said the series would be available via the Prime Video app or online in more than 200 countries and territories, but it did not announce a release date.More news: Investors bid down TJX Companies after earnings
- Duke vs. Michigan State live stream
- The Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Rating Reaffirm by Drexel Hamilton
- Israel Deploys Iron Dome Systems Amid Rising Tensions With Gaza Based Militants
- Former Pharmaceutical Company Executive Picked to Run HHS
- Canadian Natural Resources Limited (CNQ) PT Raised to C$51.00
- Italy join France, Argentina in list of shocking FIFA World Cup exits
- Bharti Infratel shares fall on block deals, Airtel up 1%
- S&P says Venezuela has defaulted on its debt
- Trader's Buzz: Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY)
- Jordin Sparks announces pregnancy after secret marriage