Switzerland and Croatia have cemented their spots at next summer's showcase spectacle in Russian Federation following play-off victories over Northern Ireland and Greece respectively, and now it's the turn of Italy and Sweden, with the latter holding a 1-0 lead from the first-leg.
As such, anything other than qualification is nearly certain to result in the sacking of current coach Giampiero Ventura with a number of names being linked to the Azzurri bench.
The Livorno native recently agreed an extension to keep him at the club until 2020, however he has previously reported being interested in coaching the national side, should the opportunity present itself.
Gianluigi Buffon wants to lead Italy to the World Cup next summer (Picture: Getty)When is Italy vs Sweden?More news: EA Issues an Unpopular Response to Battlefront 2 Unlock Queries
Marco Verratti will be suspended for Monday's game with defender Leonardo Bonucci wearing a protective mask after breaking his nose in a bruising first leg against Sweden.
Italy need to win in order to reach Russian Federation, are unbeaten in the San Siro (P42 W31 D11) the 1/2 favourites to triumph in 90 minutes, and 4/5 to qualify. "We invite them to support us, but realise the time has come for us to show them what we ve got", he said. "There are another 90 minutes and we want to make the most of it".
The 39-year-old Buffon, who will earn his 175th cap against Sweden, is targeting a record sixth World Cup in Russian Federation.
Italy, as four-time world champions, have a proud history in this competition and many neutral observers will expect them to progress given the high regard in which the Azzurri is held in the game around the globe. I'd love to play this game.More news: Amazon making Lord of the Rings multi-seasonal television series
And captain Andreas Granqvist believes they can cause a big upset on front of over 65,000 Italian fans in the San Siro.
Sweden coach Janne Andersson. "We have nothing to lose and we will go onto the pitch to give a great performance".
"We know that keeping a clean sheet will take us to the World Cup, so that is our intention".More news: Dominic Solanke praises Gareth Southgate after England call-up
- Sierra Nevada Corporation after glide test flight of Dream Chaser space plane
- Four who died in I-94 crash identified by police
- Government rolls out BharatNet Phase 2, aims 100% connectivity by 2020
- New Harry Potter Game Doesn't Mean Dev Will Stop Supporting Pokemon Go
- British parliament to get vote on final Brexit deal
- Wolfenstein II Sets Road Map for Downloadable Content
- General Electric plans to slice quarterly dividend in half
- Majority of Utah's hate crime is race-related, Federal Bureau of Investigation says
- Recovered video leads to new charges in Penn State fraternity death
- Walmart will open Thanksgiving, offer early discounts