According to the Orlando Sentinel, passengers had to disembark aircraft and go through the security screening process again, leading to massive queues for hours afterwards.
Brown said a complete review of the incident is planned for Monday.More news: Defender undergoes medical treatment ahead of Newcastle v Manchester United
The Greater Orlando International Aviation Authority CEO Phil Brown said in a letter posted online Saturday that the passenger "immediately dropped the bag and those around them moved away from it. Emergency services arrived quickly and moved the bag farther away" from the crowds.
After gates were reopened at 8:45 p.m., thousands of travelers faced longer waits to get through security and passengers who had evacuated needed to be screened again.
An incident at Orlando International Airport led to flight cancelations, delays and an evacuation of the airport. Because of uncertainty about the noise, Orlando police tweeted that no shots were fired and there wasn't any danger to the public.More news: Moto X4 India launch slated for today
"People sprinted past the security checkpoint to take cover", he added.
"Others hearing the luggage being dropped, stanchions falling, and rapid movement mistook the sounds as gunfire and within seconds a spontaneous evacuation of the main terminal occurred", Brown said in the letter.
November 10, 2017 (Gephardt Daily) - An exploding lithium battery in a camera bag at Orlando International Airport set off a scene of total chaos and delayed flights for several hours Friday. "As a result of the incident, a ground stop was issued, and a number of flights were held while passengers were allowed back into the building and security checkpoints reactivated", said airport spokesman Rod Johnson. A lithium battery in a camera exploded in a bag; that was the noise people heard.More news: Costa Rica Hit by 6.5 Magnitude Earthquake
- Final Fantasy 15's Noctis is the next DLC character for Tekken 7
- Salman Khan Shares First Look Of Race 3, Twitter Can't Keep Calm!
- National Football League looking into Wilson's concussion test
- Rowan Atkinson to become father again at 62
- Man charged with manslaughter in hockey stick beating death of Uber driver
- Jelena Dokic reveals years of abuse suffered at hands of father
- PDP speaks on alleged attempt to assassinate governor Wike
- Theo Griezmann's Deleted Tweet Has Got Manchester United Fans Very Excited
- Odd-even scheme comes under smog after NGT poser
- ISIS: Philippine President thanks Russian Federation for timely assistance